All AFCI breakers in a panel failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Sounds like a surge took your breakers out. Those AFCIs must be cheaply made. I'll have to remember to install a surge protector on my panel.
Does the power company have a record of all of the larger surges that a home takes over a given period of time?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Sounds like a surge took your breakers out. Those AFCIs must be cheaply made. I'll have to remember to install a surge protector on my panel.
Does the power company have a record of all of the larger surges that a home takes over a given period of time?

Whole-house surge protection at fuse boxes may save other electronic appliances too, but the harsh environment circuit breakers must endure often find other ways for AFCI's to fail.

Fancy reset buttons at first openings inside the house are better impedance protected and isolated from the elements, if your property existed B4 the fuse-box requirements.

Unfortunately most electrician's are panel flippers, not willing to remove existing-carbonized equipment or crossed up neutrals to get AFCI's working.

Its much easier to piss & moan, or demand complete remodel wiring, than climb around peoples furniture & crawlspaces fixing outlets & j-boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.