airport contorl towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Re: airport contorl towers

My office is designing a bunch of "typical" control tower designs for the FAA.
Essentially, they are a data center and office space combined.
What specifically are you looking for?

ccha9219

I have been told the FAA comes in after the fact and asks for systems not on the approved construction drawings...
don't want get caught with my flaps down :confused:
thanks
ccha9219

satcom

Has the orginal contract been reviewed by the goverment agency issuing the contract, this process is exact, and usually requires you to obtain the necessary spec. and approved vendor, and file all this info, before the start of any work. Any changes made, I am sure you will know about, they will come with a ton of paper work.

ccha9219

I've got a spec book as thick as phone book
Divison 16 is 265 pages. My worry is the FAA wont come do a site visit untill they want to
To give a visual...
The tower is a small one
about 30x30 65 feet tall
I have 500 feet of pipe for just power sysytems
not com. just in the equipment room, just want to be sure that I get it all

butch

I was once the maintenance electrician for the U.S.A.F on an island overseas. I cant give you to much advice especially with that many specs. The only thing I can advise you on is the inspection records and test on the back up Generator, this probably wont fall into your scope of work but maybe with all those specs it might. Good luck and be sure the landing lights are on when my plane comes in.

ccha9219

The gen set and transfer switch is part of the job
as is the fiber optics, runway lights and data/comm conduits.....
It's a challengeing and fustrating project,
If I could the FAA to do a site visit I probably would be so gun shy.
:confused:

flightline

I sometimes ask myself why someone puts themselves in a position such as this one, possibly risking a lot to do so. I am going to suggest that you speak with a good friend of mine that just retired as the head airfield electrician from the O'Hare International Airport; a position he held for some time, and one that grew him many respectful admiration. He is retiring young, and is starting his own consulting group for airfield lighting. It It will be called EDG Consultants, and this man has gone through the replacement of our tower a few years back. He worked day to day on ALL the parameters of which you speak, but on the "worlds busiest" level. I hope he can help.

ryan_618

Originally posted by ccha9219:

Divison 16 is 265 pages.
I'm not trying to jack the thread here, but this is one of the reasons that in my opinion an electrical inspector is only required to inspect to the code, and not the engineer's specifications/plans. When I do a plan review, I read the spec's for compliance, but that is where it ends in my opinion. I pray that I'll never have to review that spec book!!!!

satcom

ccha9219,

You may want to consider taking flightline's advice, We had an engineer on our project, and the engineer had to call a consulting group, to avoid problems, the cost will be a real savings in the end, hope you allowed for consulting costs in your budget. Good luck.

ron

Ryan,
How do you "... do a plan review, I read the spec's for compliance, but that is where it ends in my opinion. I pray that I'll never have to review that spec book!!!!" and not have to review the spec book?
A recent data center project that went out of my office, there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 electrical spec sections and about 310 pages.

I wonder if the electrical inspector (never mind the electrical contractor) noticed that on page 35 of the General Electrical Requirements Section it required the Electrical Contractor to provide 1 dozen donuts each week to the electrical inspector for the entire length of the project. Ha Ha.

In any case, I agree, the electrical inspector should be checking code minimums, and everything above that is on the Owner's Representative :D to verify compliance.

flightline

For some reason, I've written another reply a number of times, but never placed them. This next comment will be based upon the, for lack of a better term, "big-airport" look at things that I have had to grow up with at O'Hare.

For most reasonably complex projects, our specifications, adjunct to the drawing set, consist of -3- "books". The last book is the "technical" portion of the specs. It is usually the thickest and addresses all of the 01000 to 16000 (plus) construction & materials specifications, plus whatever else the city wants to place i there. . This is true for each and every contracted construction project placed for bid. The funny thing is that these are only projects that the local municipality contracts for; not the federal governments work.

When the new O'Hare tower was built, not all that long ago, it was done as a "federal reservation" , (I believe). As such, it is my understanding that the local "Chicago" Electrical Code was superceded by NEC, plus whatever adjunct "other" codes were specified in the construction documents. I believe that the entire portion of this construction; that done by the federal government; was initially reviewed and then monitored while under construction, by the FAA or their representative. I believe that would also mean that Chicago electrical inspectors were not the called for this work. ( I'm trying to confirm this locally).

I was certified as an IAEI inspector and hold -3- of the certifications. That being said, nothing in those areas would begin to certify, or even bring me close, to understanding what is required or even look for with respect to the airfield lighting and control systems installed today. As these are quite specialized systems and equipment, the FAA or their designated "agents" do the inspections and certifications. They wouldn't want to jepordize any of the airfield lighting and control systems that are being installed. It equates to human life in a very definitive sense.

In closing, perhaps I've been polluted by the airport, but most of the spec books that come across my desk for review, [with no airside involvement at all], are about 2" thick; I guess I'm just used to it.

[ February 24, 2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: flightline ]

pwhite

if you were given a set of specs, that's what you are to build by. not trying to be a smartypants, but our customers hold our feet to the fire everytime we forgot one of those sometines silly specifications that makes no since at all. they said its in their specs and we have to do it.

ccha9219

Specs and practical application are the problem.
We got the transfer switch in yesterday (the one in the spec )
The cut sheet we got from the spec didn't show the 16x16 block of lugs in the same spot the spec said to sleeve thru the tilt wall to get to the MDP. So I had to re engineer the service to allow for the 24x24 pull box, move the transfer switch over and adjust the conduits to the gen set accordingly.
So You cant only go by the spec.feild conditions greatly impact your instalation
Yes they can shove the spec up your A** if they want to, but I have an endless supply of feild change orders the go down (or up) just as hard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.