Air Conditioning & LFNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, was at a customer today and saw the attached. It just does not look right. The only thing that I see as being okay is disconnect within sight.

Is the LFNC coming out from bottom part of window frame a violation?
The terminations within 1 foot missing. Are cable ties okay to secure in manner shown?
I’m diving into 2020 NEC code and as always any insight is always appreciated. Thanks.
1617064322234.png
1617064361359.png 1617064322234.png

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
LTFNT through the framing under the window is not NEC issue. I would guess it is building code issue. Not being able to seal properly would be a problem.
The conduit support "may" be an issue .

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Supports might be okay. 356.30(1) - "... Cable ties shall be listed for the application and for securing and supporting."

Through the window, I'd agree is kind of a sloppy move.

kwired

Electron manager
Isn't there a prohibition on supporting wiring methods to other systems piping and such?
Not in NEC, codes for those "other systems" however could have such rules just like the NEC generally doesn't allow supporting other systems from NEC wiring methods.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That was worth stopping to see;
1) the wood under the window is not sealed or decay resistant.
2) there is no way water isn’t running back into the house on that conduit.
3) the insulation on the AC suction line will be gone as soon as the squirrels rats and birds see it.
4) you can’t use the electrical to support other systems, so I would say the AC line set isn’t strapped so the electrical must be supporting it.
5) please tell us you opened the disconnect and took a picture. I’m guessing Romex is run through all the way to the compressor.
6) I’m guessing no pad under the compressor as required by the mechanical code?

kwired

Electron manager
That was worth stopping to see;
1) the wood under the window is not sealed or decay resistant.
2) there is no way water isn’t running back into the house on that conduit.
3) the insulation on the AC suction line will be gone as soon as the squirrels rats and birds see it.
4) you can’t use the electrical to support other systems, so I would say the AC line set isn’t strapped so the electrical must be supporting it.
5) please tell us you opened the disconnect and took a picture. I’m guessing Romex is run through all the way to the compressor.
6) I’m guessing no pad under the compressor as required by the mechanical code?

Compressor very likely has a rubber pad under each mounting foot.

The entire heat pump/condensing unit may not be sitting on any recognized pad though;)

"Mars" disconnect generally sold at HVAC supply houses - probably installed by the HVAC contractor. Guessing the supply circuit was existing, they replaced an older unit, can see there likely was different disconnect there at one time. If HVAC contractor installed it there is good chance it is a pre wired whip and only NM cable would possibly be in the incoming supply run.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Unfortunately with how horrendous this looks the only NEC code violation I see from the pictures provided is the missing conduit support with how it was done with the HVAC lines. The liquid tight needs clamps on it or the HVAC lines need clamps and then the zip ties would be ok to secure the LFNC. If the clamps are added to the conduit than the HVAC lines can not be zipped tied to it for support. If clamps are added to the HVAC lines the conduit can be supported by "Listed" zip ties.

The conduit coming from the window does look like LFMC (metallic Liquid tight) and the 90* fitting is one that is properly rated for LFMC. Its the cheap ones sold at Home depot or possibly Lowes. The 90* portion of it is metallic and they come with a plastic nut.

I also would love to see where the conduit is going inside. Seeing this install I would assume they did something that is not to code once it goes through the window.

kwired

Electron manager
Single wire running freely to the ground going to a ground rod? It appears to follow that flex through the wall. Maybe the service panel just inside in that area? Maybe someone didn't have the means to drill the concrete with big enough hole for this raceway?

Status
Not open for further replies.