Air compressor for the fire suppression system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tttam3

Occupation
Facilities Engineer, Site Operations.
I have worked in 4 Data Centers for the past 15 years. I am new to this Data center in OR, and this is the first time I have ever seen this done. As I was walking around doing the daily rounds, I noticed a tie-rap locking the switch in the closed position for the air compressor of the fire suppression system. The switch is about 30" from the door at a height of 4'. I have never seen a disconnect means locked in the closed/on position. One of the leads has indicated that this is legal for the fire system.

My question would be:
  • Is this legal?
Where can I find the information on this subject of locking a disconnect means in the closed/on position?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don;'t know of specific NEC Code reference but I have worked in industrial facilities who carried Factor Mutual Insurance and they required to sprinkler air pump switches to be locked in the "on" position.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since switches/disconnects are not EPO's there is not a problem. Along with Gus's post I have had to lock EM switches in the closed position, only certain maintenance personnel had access to the keys

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have worked in 4 Data Centers for the past 15 years. I am new to this Data center in OR, and this is the first time I have ever seen this done. As I was walking around doing the daily rounds, I noticed a tie-rap locking the switch in the closed position for the air compressor of the fire suppression system. The switch is about 30" from the door at a height of 4'. I have never seen a disconnect means locked in the closed/on position. One of the leads has indicated that this is legal for the fire system.

My question would be:
  • Is this legal?
Where can I find the information on this subject of locking a disconnect means in the closed/on position?
The NEC does not care whether the disconnecting means is locked on during normal operation. It is there to serve as a disconnecting means, not a means of turning off the power to a device.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The NEC does not care whether the disconnecting means is locked on during normal operation. It is there to serve as a disconnecting means, not a means of turning off the power to a device.
I'm not as confident. Since there is a motor involved, 430.107 would require the motor disconnect to be "readily accessible". Per definition, a lock requiring a key (as Roger and I have observed) would be accessible to those needing "access" but a ty-rap would not (IMO)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm not as confident. Since there is a motor involved, 430.107 would require the motor disconnect to be "readily accessible". Per definition, a lock requiring a key (as Roger and I have observed) would be accessible to those needing "access" but a ty-rap would not (IMO)
It is still readily accessible. One might argue it is not readily operable but the code does not require it to be readily operable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Not worth fretting,,, just an old fart's opinion... :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Not worth fretting,,, just an old fart's opinion... :)
It can still be reached quickly. Just can't be operated quickly, which is not required.

Tttam3

Occupation
Facilities Engineer, Site Operations.
Update to my initial posting, the insurance company is the one that requires it to be locked in the closed position the fire Marshall for the area has signed off on it, and since it is a tie-wrap there are no keys involved so the fire department if they want it off can cut it and turn the switch off when they come in. I want to thank all of you for your comments and enlightenment.

Status
Not open for further replies.