AHJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The inspector is one but the head of the state inspectors would be the ultimate authority having jurisdiction.

I would call someone here

Division of Industrial Compliance
6606 Tussing Road
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
Phone 614.644.2223
Fax 614.644.2618
Email IC@com.state.oh.us

Occupation
Engineer
Thank you sir I will contact that number. When you say inspector who do you mean. As an OEM I have never been on the facility side of things. I've dealt with a few Osha inspectors but indirectly..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well I don't know about Ohio but in many states each county or city has their own authority having jurisdiction but there is the ultimate authority having jurisdiction that sits above all the county and city inspectors. I don't know if Ohio has that.

One normally goes with the local inspectors however if you feel they are wrong then you can go above them to either their boss or the state engineer as is the case in NC

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Authority Having Jurisdiction is a defined term in Article 100 although it is rather vague about the specifics in any particular case. The Informational Note indicates there may, in fact, be multiple AHJs for a project.
Authority Having Jurisdiction (AH.}). An organization,
office, or individual responsible for enforcing the requirements
of a code or standard, or for approving equipment,
materials, an installation, or a procedure.
Informational Note: The phrase "authority having jurisdiction,"
or its acronym AHJ, is used in NFPA documents in a
broad manner, since jurisdictions and approval agencies
vary, as do their responsibilities. Where public safety is
primary, the authority having jurisdiction may be a federal,
state, local or other regional department or individual such as
a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire prevention bureau,
labor depat1ment, or health department; building official; electrical
inspector; or others having statutory authority. For insurance
purposes, an insurance inspection department, rating bureau,
or other insurance company representative may be the
authority having jurisdiction. In many circumstances, the
property owner or his or her designated agent assumes the role
of the authority having jurisdiction; at government installations,
the commanding officer or departmental official may be
the authority having jurisdiction.
Just curious; why did you drop your question in the Hazardous (Classified) Locations forum?

Occupation
Engineer
I am trying to determine who gets the final say in a building classification. For example, a building that processes flammable refrigerants 10% of the calendar year. Once a plan has been set in place, who is required to approve the final plan? Is it the building owners responsibility to contact the Fire Marshal or insurance company? I've wrestled a lot with machine design, but not building design. I am not designing a building now, but would like to help point someone in the right direction.

Occupation
Engineer
Do you think the best approach to determining this AHJ structure for my state would be to contact the Division of Industrial Compliance for my state?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Do you think the best approach to determining this AHJ structure for my state would be to contact the Division of Industrial Compliance for my state?
Actually, I think you should contact the local building officials first. I suspect the Division of Industrial Compliance will refer you to them anyway,

Occupation
Engineer
I am pretty ignorant of these things. Who would the local building officials be, in general..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.