AFI's tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are space heaters compatible with AFI breakers. I have a customer that's telling me the AFI breaker keeps tripping every time he plugs in the space heater

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Are space heaters compatible with AFI breakers. I have a customer that's telling me the AFI breaker keeps tripping every time he plugs in the space heater
Space heaters, electric blankets and the likes are exactly what arc fault breakers are for. Yes, they're compatible.

If that heater really is tripping an arc fault, they need a new heater. But it could just be an overloaded circuit

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
You don’t give enough detail, but yes they should work. ref post 2, we don’t know how many he has plugged in. Have you been there yet? Does the circuit work with any load?

Take it to a GFCI protected outlet and see if it trips there. Yes, then throw the heater out.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I would definitely test it out on a GFCI breaker. If it keeps tripping something is majorly wrong. Heck almost all ARC's are compatible with AFCI breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.