AFCI protection with fuses in main panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

I'm wondering if it's possible to provide AFCI protection to new bedroom receptacles if the dwelling has fuses instead of breakers. The only AFCI installations I've done have involved breakers, and I've never seen anything like an AFCI receptacle. Do they exist?

I'm preparing an estimate and want to make sure I cover all the options so he can make an informed decision. He's leaning toward having a panel upgrade done as well, which would solve the problem, but in case he decides to stick with the fuse box (100A), I want to know if the new bedroom receptacles are an option for him.

stud696981

Re: AFCI protection with fuses in main panel?

You could install a small sub-panel off the main panel and put the AFCIs in there.

jeff43222

True enough, but he's already got one of those, and it's full. I was just considering options in case adding a new circuit wasn't part of the plan.

stud696981

If the sub-panel is already full and this is an old service to begin with, I would recommend upgrading the service period.

Unless AFCIs are going to be required because of local code or major remodel, I would simply leave them out. Just my opinion (so I hope no one jumps me for this) but the only thing they are likely to do is cause you a call back due to some type of nuisance tripping, especially if this is existing wiring and who knows what else is on the circuits.

active1

If he has a Edison fuse panel with a sub on it and your planing on adding more it sounds like it's time for an upgrade. Why go out of your way to try and save the customers old junk and make less $$?

Tom

jeff43222

He actually has a Federal Pacific fuse box with a GE subpanel. Yeah, I think at the very least the fuse box needs to be replaced, and I think he's leaning toward that solution. It gets expensive, though, because his city has an ordinance that requires bringing lots of stuff in the house up to code anytime the panel is changed.

The AFCIs are required per the NEC, which has been adopted in full by the state.

[ May 04, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

charlie

A fuse panel, if it is not one of the really old ones, is just fine. Fuses are as good as (and sometimes better than) circuit breakers. The Type S fuse inserts are made for the edison base fuse holders if you wish to upgrade or if there is evidence of over fusing. If this panelboard has a 100 fuse pullout, I would leave it alone. If it is a 60 ampere or a 60/40 parallel, I would replace it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.