AFCI on 30 amp Branch Cir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

In the 2014 code cycle can I run all 30 amp circuits to all my items in a single family dwelling such as kitchen items (disposal, dishwasher, countertop rec, etc) , some lighting lighting, some outlets and put on single pole 30 amp OCPD with NO AFCI protection and will it pass ???

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In the 2014 code cycle can I run all 30 amp circuits to all my items in a single family dwelling such as kitchen items (disposal, dishwasher, countertop rec, etc) , some lighting lighting, some outlets and put on single pole 30 amp OCPD with NO AFCI protection and will it pass ???

NO , in general.
Are you for real. You would run # 10 Just to save on a AFCI if you could? Did you consider Make-up time and costs?

You will need to use 30 amp devices ,You won't find regular receptacles that are rated for 30amp

Nice Try:roll:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You would not get rejected on 210.12, but you would on 210.21 for lighting an countertop and probably 430 or 110.3(b) for disposal & dishwasher.

Cletis

NO , in general.
Are you for real. You would run # 10 Just to save on a AFCI if you could? Did you consider Make-up time and costs?

You will need to use 30 amp devices ,You won't find regular receptacles that are rated for 30amp

Nice Try:roll:

Was thinking more for kitchen on hardwired items such as dish, disposal etc...I can use these 30 amp rated rockers for lighting. Receptacles may be hard to figure out but working on

Attachments

• 70192259.jpg
    70192259.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0

Cletis

Would these work if I Installed in the jbox and made a #12 copper tap off load side of hot to device maybe ? Assuming the fuse is rated for branch circuit protection of course ???? This would be around $2 per jbox with little extra install time

Attachments

• 6F457_AS01.JPG
    6F457_AS01.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 0

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Was thinking more for kitchen on hardwired items such as dish, disposal etc...I can use these 30 amp rated rockers for lighting. Receptacles may be hard to figure out but working on

Would these work if I Installed in the jbox and made a #12 copper tap off load side of hot to device maybe ? Assuming the fuse is rated for branch circuit protection of course ???? This would be around $2 per jbox with little extra install time

I guess you have a lot of spare time. give us some more I like the creativeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.