Afci for bathroom & gfci for existing circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank27

Occupation
Electrician
On a job in North Carolina (2017 NEC) the inspector is telling me that I need AFCI protection for the bathroom lights and receptacle. Ran a 20a circuit for the receptacle and a 15a circuit for the lights. These circuits serve this bathroom only. I thought circuits that were exclusive to bathrooms didn't require AFCI. He also wants me to change an existing laundry receptacle in an unfinished area to a GFCI receptacle.

Frank27

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't install the laundry circuit, it was existing. I did install a circuit for a dehumidifier in the same area which I did GFCI protect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Who is this inspector? He needs to read the 210.12.. Baths are exempt from afci and if all you did was add an outlet in the laundry then that is all you are responsible for...

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I didn't install the laundry circuit, it was existing. I did install a circuit for a dehumidifier in the same area which I did GFCI protect.
Choose your battles wisely.

If it was existing in a room you did NOT do any work in, you are correct that this change shouldn't be required of you.
It could be required of you if you worked on that circuit.

But I'll say it again, choose your battles wisely. It might not be worth it to pick that fight.

Personally, I would make my position clear that I don't believe this to be required, but I will do it out of respect for the AHJ. Not a huge ask and now you're in his/her good favor for the next job.

Sometimes you gotta let the EI's flex a bit and show your respect, but don't be a pushover either.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would call the inspectors boss and if that goes nowhere I would call Chris Faucette at 919-218-7621 and ask for a formal interpretation. He is a state inspector for that area

Frank27

Occupation
Electrician
I'm going to call the inspector and let him know my position- respectfully of course. I knew he was wrong on the bathroom Afci. Concerning the gfci protection on the existing circuit, where does it end? I can identify two or three other things on the same circuit that don't meet current code. Am I expected to correct this also? This is in the basement of a late 1960's house. I could identify other things in the same "laundry area" that don't meet current code. Am I going to be expected to correct all of those? The only thing I did in this area was pull my circuits through the floor joists to the panel and install a new ground fault protected circuit for a dehumidifier.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd stand my ground, and I agree with you on this. Everyone has a supervisor for a reason. Climb the food chain correctly.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is an excerpt from NCDOI
Electrical Violations Outside of Permit Scope of Work

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 160A-423; § 153A-363 Date: April 18, 2018

N.C. Gen. Stat. §§ 160A-425, 426; § 153A-365, 366

N.C. Admin Code and Policies 204.8.2

N.C. Electrical Code 10.7.2

Question:

How does an electrical code violation or hazard on the same property effect the compliance and approval of electrical work that has no association with the scope of work actually permitted and performed?

Answer:

An electrical code violation or hazard that does not effect and is not effected by the work actually permitted and performed cannot attribute to the withholding of compliance and approval for performed electrical work solely on the bases to abate a non-associated violation or hazard.

The permit holder is required to follow all codes and laws that effect or are effected by the permitted scope of work.

An electrical inspector shall issue notification to an owner of a property to take corrective actions to abate any electrical code violations or a hazards. An electrical inspector shall issue notification to an owner of a property to take immediate corrective actions to abate any electrical code violations or a hazards that the electrical inspector believes places the public in imminent danger; including an order to remove electrical power to the structure or portions that supply power to the hazard until such abatement has been performed and approved by the electrical inspector.

But the burden to abate the violation or hazard cannot be placed on the permit holder whose scope of work has no association with the violation or hazard except sharing the same property address.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Either being in a laundry area or in an unfinished basement requires GFCI Laundry areas also require AFCI. Bathrooms aren't explicitly listed in the AFCI rules unless the inspector wants to pervert it into the "similar rooms or areas"

Either being in a laundry area or in an unfinished basement requires GFCI Laundry areas also require AFCI.
... I did install a circuit for a dehumidifier in the same area which I did GFCI protect.

Yeah I was going to mention to the OP that that dehumidifier outlet prolly needs AFCI too, depending on if its considered in the "laundry area". Like it or not that, basement (at least part of it) is a laundry area now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.