AFCI breakers leaving shadow on cover - problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I recently worked in a CH-BR panel where I noticed heat/smoke shadows where the AFCI breakers are. Does this indicate any issue or problem with those breakers or is it normal? I've never seen anything like this before, but I've also never really paid attention to the back side of the cover.

Attachments

• afci_shadow.jpg
    afci_shadow.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The problem is you don't know what was there before. It may have been an issue with a couple of dp breakers. To answer the question- no that is not normal.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a bit of the discoloration at each of the breaker knockouts. This is a common occurrence where there is a small amount of heat produced. It is not really smoke...just accumulated dirt and oils from the air driven by the convection flow caused by the increase in temperature of the breakers. AFCI breakers produce heat all the time and there is more air flow around them. Standard breakers only produce heat based on their loading and will have less air flow.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Same thing you notice above smoke detectors, dimmer switches, etc any time heat is created no matter how small tends to carry as said before dirt, oils, carbons and stains the surface.

Athough that does seem to be excessive. Do the AFCI's still function properly?

PetrosA

Same thing you notice above smoke detectors, dimmer switches, etc any time heat is created no matter how small tends to carry as said before dirt, oils, carbons and stains the surface.

Athough that does seem to be excessive. Do the AFCI's still function properly?

The homeowner is a doctor and was connected to the hospital via VPN. I was not about to test the power to her office (in one of the bedrooms, so on AFCI). I will try the next time they call me back and recommend that she get a UPS for her computers and internet equipment.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I hope that's not the AFCIs. A power surge or loose neutral could cause that.

ID go back and check things out thoroughly.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Although that does seem to be excessive. Do the AFCI's still function properly?
There will be a lot more heat and heat 100% of the time from the AFCI, because of the power supply and internal electronics in the AFCI. There have been a number of threads in the forums about the amount of heat from an AFCI.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Did anyone know that the Eaton AFCI breaker trips to the OFF position according the Eaton website.

Status
Not open for further replies.