AFCI branch circuit tripping when 220 range circuit is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

devildog6687

We have an AFCI branch circuit that trips after range is on for five minutes. This happens consistently and has start two years after the arc faults were installed. The branch circuit is good and does not trip but will when range is on with regularity. Any ideas we are stumped.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nothing surprises me anymore with afci or gfci circuits. I would try a different afci breaker and see what happens. I have no idea why that would happen.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Weird coincidence guess:
1. Range circuit has an at least slightly crossed neutral with the circuit under test. Or at least a neutral to ground bridge.
2. A heating element of the range develops a high impedance short from resistor winding to grounded metal shell of heating element only after it has warmed up for 5 minutes. Or other temperature sensitive leakage.
OR
Constant very low level ground imbalance in the affected circuit when the range is on. A current in the range near 20ma can take a considerable time to trip the GF detector component in the AFCI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Weird coincidence guess:
1. Range circuit has an at least slightly crossed neutral with the circuit under test. Or at least a neutral to ground bridge.
2. A heating element of the range develops a high impedance short from resistor winding to grounded metal shell of heating element only after it has warmed up for 5 minutes. Or other temperature sensitive leakage.
OR
Constant very low level ground imbalance in the affected circuit when the range is on. A current in the range near 20ma can take a considerable time to trip the GF detector component in the AFCI.

I don't understand how (2) would cause an afci on a different circuit to trip unless there was some connection between them

We all have seen gfci's trip when a different circuit trips. It's voodoo

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't understand how (2) would cause an afci on a different circuit to trip unless there was some connection between them

We all have seen gfci's trip when a different circuit trips. It's voodoo
I was assuming some sort of cross connection for the second case too, I just did not state it explicitly.
A judicious application of chicken blood will often cure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.