AFCI being tripped by a standard breaker circuit

Ron Primm

Occupation
Licensed master electrician
Made a service call on a 10 year house. When owners opened the door on an under-counter refrigerator in the bonus room served by a standard breaker on a different circuit, the AFCI bonus room breaker powering lights and outlets tripped. The refrigerator circuit remained on.
Switched the bonus room AFCI breaker wiring with another AFCI breaker, opened the refrigerator door and none of the AFCI breakers tripped.
Haven't been back in 7 days and haven't been able to make contact with the owner to ask if all continues to work.
This, apparently, is a temporary solution to a current problem.
Ideas on what would cause this problem and how to correct?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

The majority of the time, when I have swapped AFCIs, it has fixed the problem.

Next would be to look for shared or mixed neutrals.

Ron Primm

Occupation
Licensed master electrician
Welcome to the forum.

The majority of the time, when I have swapped AFCIs, it has fixed the problem.

Next would be to look for shared or mixed neutrals.
Thanks for your response. In the past, refrigerators, along with other appliances have been a problem for AFCI breakers.
This is my first time to experience a problem with an appliance served by a standard breaker tripping a separate breaker or AFCI.
My best guess so far is a problem with the refrigerator along with a neutral/ground issue hand or a bad GFCI. However, phasing of the circuits may be part of the problem.
The age of the house and for a few years thereafter was when it appeared the AFCI problem began.
I was out of the electrical on-site business for a while and just now catching up.
Research has indicated shared neutral as in 3-wire circuits, neutrals tied together, a neutral touching a ground plus other possibilities.
This client is a high-end corporate person who doesn't communicate well so have not been able to follow up.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This might help to explain.

Attachments

• NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.4(C) Proposed Amendment.jpg
    NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.4(C) Proposed Amendment.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 14
  • NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.6(A) Proposed Amendment.jpg
    NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.6(A) Proposed Amendment.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 14