AEMC you tube video - just

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwjhatton

Been looking at a variety of sources regarding groudning, bonding, fault curernt path.

Last night saw an instrument manufactures descripton which continues to frustrate me in the way in which "ground fault" misinformation is out there. 2:30 mark. of

Any such agreeement on this misinfomration presented? I liked some of the information as presented such a ground resistance changing based on soil material and climatic conditions. But the misrepresentation of ground fault current "leaving the ground" rod is subject to review.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OK, the following is from another electrical testing manufacturer.

Poor grounding not only contributes to unnecessary downtime, but a lack of good grounding is also dangerous and increases the risk of equipment failure. Without an effective grounding system, we could be exposed to the risk of electric shock, not to mention instrumentation errors, harmonic distortion issues, power factor problems and a host of possible intermittent dilemmas. If fault currents have no path to the ground through a properly designed and maintained grounding system, they will find unintended paths that could include people.
However, good grounding isn't only for safety; it is also used to prevent damage to industrial plants and equipment. A good grounding system will improve the reliability of equipment and reduce the likelihood of damage due to lightning or fault currents. Billions are lost each year in the workplace due to electrical fires. This does not account for related litigation costs and loss of personal and corporate productivity.

Roger

dwjhatton

OK, the following is from another electrical testing manufacturer.

Roger
I think everytime "grounding" is used the word "earthing" should be used instead and see if the statement is still valid. If the grounding system includes metallic conduit, EGC's, etc...I'm all in. It seems our "industry" just is having a hard time with grounding terminology in many use cases of "grounding" and the operation of an electrical circuit in a solidly grounded system. I'm in for a bonding terminology reword of 250. The handbook would have to add 4 pages of explanation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think you have a lot of people in agreement with you.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.