Advice for wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

albrechtmyers

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey guys, I am looking at a job that has a 200 hp motor on top of a 200 foot grain leg. I have never had to pull wires vertically that size. Does anybody have any experience or tips for this? I was wondering if it would make sense to start looking for some kind of a busway system instead of trying to pull wires up there? If wire pulling is an option what kind of tugger and what kind of wire supports would I need? Also would you use a vfd or a soft start? I don't think the cost will sway a decision one way or another, but which one is better for the application?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's the voltage and what size conductors are you planning on using? Will it be necessary to run the motor at a reduced speed? If so then a VFD might be the way to go.

kwired

Electron manager
You'll need conductor supports, but here's the best advice: it's easier to pull wire down than up.
Never done a 200 HP leg, but yes if you feed from the top, the task eventually becomes how to hold the conductors from falling all the way in instead of how to pull them up, even if they are just 12 AWG conductors being installed.

reast

Occupation
Electrician
Use conductor supports, and don't use LB's at the top, use elbows or sweeps if you need to make an angle. LB's have edges sharp enough that if the wire is pulling from a lot of weight, it can cut through the insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.