ADT type houshold fire alarms & NFPA 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings all, when doing residential I typically have installed standard 120V interconnected smoke alarms.
I am looking at a significant remodel to a house that has a 'Alarm' system that includes smoke detectors , heat detectors and such.
But no other smoke alarms /detectors.
When asking the plan reviewer they stated that if the alarm system meets R314/R315 of the International Residential Code (IRC) its good to go.
The IRC states:
Code:
R314.7.1 General
Fire alarm systems shall comply with the provisions of this code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72. Smoke detectors shall be listed in accordance with UL 268.

Glancing over NFPA 72 Chapter 29
"System control equipment shall be in compliance with applicable standards such as ANSI/UL 985, Standard for Household Fire Warning System Units; ANSI/UL 1730, Standard for Smoke Detector Monitors and Accessories for Individual Living Units of Multifamily Residences and Hotel/Motel Rooms; or ANSI/UL 864, Standard for Control Units and Accessories for Fire Alarm Systems."

Does anyone have experience permitting these all-in-one household fire alarm systems? Do they meet the NFPA 72 / IRC 314?

Another concern is who actually owns the equipment as I think sometimes these systems are rented or leased:
Code:
R314.7.3 Permanent Fixture
Where a household fire alarm system is installed, it shall become a permanent fixture of the occupancy, owned by the homeowner.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
If you’re talking about a monitored home alarm system with smoke detectors, it is compliant. NEC only requires AC powered with battery backup, which they are. I would verify age and functionality of the battery.

Kidde also makes a relay that can connect a standard smoke/heat alarm to a monitored system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you’re talking about a monitored home alarm system with smoke detectors, it is compliant. NEC only requires AC powered with battery backup, which they are. I would verify age and functionality of the battery.

Kidde also makes a relay that can connect a standard smoke/heat alarm to a monitored system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NFPA 72 is the governing document for how a household fire alarm system gets installed, not the NEC. The only thing the NEC tells you is what kind of cable. Your building code tells you if a low voltage type detection system is a substitute for hard-wired smoke/heat alarms. Until about 2009, that wasn't allowed in NJ unless you received a variance from the AHJ. The International Residential Code is usually a good source to have at hand on these questions for residences.

Status
Not open for further replies.