Adding an electric car charger to a 100 amp panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Here’s my understanding of how it works based on reading data sheets in the link:
This device is wired from an regular breaker in the panel just like any other load. The EVSE is connected to it. This device simply shuts off the EVSE based on the load on the service.

I don’t think he mentioned tandem breakers, either!
See the second reposting, he is not talking about the load shed device in that post, DR is talking about using tandems to free up enough space for the EV breaker, which is fine, as long as the panel is listed for their use.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
This device is wired from an regular breaker in the panel just like any other load. The EVSE is connected to it. This device simply shuts off the EVSE based on the load on the service.

1) That would require an additional 2-pole 50A breaker in the dwelling or unit owner panel. It assumes the panel and feeder can support a 50A load.

2) the "device", to be able to sense the feeder load and control the EVSE charger has to have CTs on the feeder in the panel.

-Hal

Mike Schuler

New User
Occupation
Retired
The downside is that it's all or nothing for the EVSE circuit. A solution integrated into the EVSE could throttle the charge rate as required, rather than just cutting off charging. That would require running CT wires or other communications wires between the EVSE and the originating feeder/panel. So this solution is a bit simpler.

Cheers, Wayne
Yes this device is around here in BC too, but it does tend to reboot the entire EVSE which can be stressful. This devices also requires a CT
sensing the main panel it's on, otherwise it wouldn't know when to turn on/off the EVSE. I have also heard some cars can't restart charging when
EVSE goes to zero while plugged in, but that's the car's fault.

retirede

Yes this device is around here in BC too, but it does tend to reboot the entire EVSE which can be stressful. This devices also requires a CT
sensing the main panel it's on, otherwise it wouldn't know when to turn on/off the EVSE. I have also heard some cars can't restart charging when

I can’t speak for others, but my Ford will resume charging when power is restored.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Not necessarily the cars fault, could be the EVSE's. I have some trouble believing that what you've 'heard' is actually true for any significant number of EVs. Seen this actually happen? If the EVSE has power it should do its thing. The car should always follow what the EVSE says it can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.