Adding a receptacle in a railroad diner car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP23

Hi all,

I had a friend ask me to add a 120V receptacle in the kitchen area of a railroad car. I want to help out
but not sure what authority that type of installation would fall under and also where to get info on
material and installation specifications. I'm just getting started with Google searches but
any input/advice on this subject would be interesting and much appreciated

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I had a friend ask me to add a 120V receptacle in the kitchen area of a railroad car.

Ok. Who owns the railroad car? Is the railroad car part of a restaurant, in one place and not in use in the rolling fleet of some railroad?

We have lots of cabooses and dining cars that have been sold and made part of or into restaurants in which case the NEC would apply.

-Hal

Opie11

Occupation
Railroad Electrician
Is this an active car that must be FRA (federal railroad administration) compliant? This will guide you to which avenue you need to be researching.

I have run many, many feet of liquid-tite and seal-tite on locomotives. Also 95% of the wire we use is DLO rated at 2000volts.

JP23

Ok, So I went and checked it out. It's fixed in place on tracks so basically considered a building.
Didn't have all the details until a site meeting. Answered a few questions and the receptacle
ended up getting nixed. Very cool getting Opie11 a railroad electrician to reply. You guys are
great and thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.