Access to Forum limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmjake

Occupation
Owner-Builder
Greetings! I am a new member, an owner-builder in New Mexico. I will be doing my own electrical installation under a New Mexico State Homeowner Electrical Permit. Obtaining such a permit requires passing an extensive written examination on the New Mexico State Electrical Code and the referenced NEC code, as well as full inspection of plans and on-site inspection of the work. I last did this a few years ago and the project went very well.

I am providing this background, because although I am not a licensed electrician or an electrical contractor, I am definitely an "electrically related individual" as listed in the Forum's "Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers" page. Dennis Alwon's welcome message states: "If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further." Sounds like me!

Last weekend, I submitted a very specific question to the Bonding and Grounding Forum, but my thread was rejected by Tom Baker because I'm not an electrician or an EC. I understand Tom's reaction, but I respectfully ask that that decision be reconsidered, because I believe I do meet the stated rules and intent of the Forum.

I would have messaged Tom and Dennis directly rather than posting this as a thread, but couldn't find a way.

Thanks for considering my request!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Forum rules were constructed with the intention of not allowing questions about wiring and electrical work from non-electricians. The use of the term "electrically related individuals" is pointed towards allowing questions from other electrically related professionals like electrical engineers and home inspectors and those discussions are limited to their job related tasks.

If installing stuff is not your occupation, then we can’t help you install stuff. The forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the dozens of other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. While the steps you have taken to qualify for a permit in your state make you less of a risk in that category Mike Holt doesn’t want anyone to get injured by any incidents related to electrical installations, but he also doesn’t want to be sued on the basis of information given out in his forum not telling you enough to keep you safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.