AC meter at pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY electric was changed about10years ago and inspected by electric inspector The meter outside on pole was never sealed right there no nut on top to compress the sealing washer is there a way to seal the top of meter so water can't come in or do I have to take apart and start all over? Do they make a split nut for it? Thank you joeD123@aol.com

pierre

Re: AC meter at pole

If this installation is with SE cable, to keep water out now you could possibly use Duct Seal, or Silicone. Just make sure the silicone will not degredate the insulation of the cable.
I just am wondering, is the bogus fitting you mention high enough that it may have escaped the attention of the inspector?

Pierre

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If the compression nut is missing there is nothing that can be done at this point except replace the connector. That's the right way to do it. That means that the cable will have to be removed from the meter to install a new one. This, depending on where you are, may require filing with the utility and building department and a shut down.

Since I see that you are not in the electrical industry I would suggest that you contact an electrical contractor to handle this for you.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Longranger, we don't allow DIYer questions, our assumption is that you will have a qualified person do this for you with the proper permit and inspection.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

loneranger contacted me privately. Seems he is concerned because his wife is on a respirator. I guess he wanted to make sure this was the only option. He says he has contacted an electrical contractor to handle this.

I wouldn't worry about a shutdown, the contractor will be able to provide temporary power if that is necessary to keep the respirator running. That's what we are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.