Above Ground Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

865resi

Occupation
Electrician
Do above ground pools need to be grounded? Also, the pool pump has a grounding lug, but also not sure if it has to be grounded. We're on 2017 with no local amendments. Thanks.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Do above ground pools need to be grounded? Also, the pool pump has a grounding lug, but also not sure if it has to be grounded. We're on 2017 with no local amendments. Thanks.
Check article 680 particular Part I and Part II. More appropriate consideration is Bonding requirements, consider Mike's Video on subject:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

How deep is the pool? I assume you mean the equipotential bonding? Not needed if it meets the definition of a storable pool

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pools; or Storable/
Portable Spas and Hot Tubs. Swimming, wading, or immersion
pools that are intended to be stored when not in use,
constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding
water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool, spa,
or hot tub constructed on or above the ground, with nonmetallic,
molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless
of dimension.

Jon456

Do above ground pools need to be grounded? Also, the pool pump has a grounding lug, but also not sure if it has to be grounded.
I think more information is needed. Is this an above-ground pool that is intended to be set-up temporarily in the summer then taken down and put away? Or is it a permanently-installed above-ground pool? IMO, any above-gound pool with a metallic frame, or other conductive shell, should be bonded. I believe that temporary pools have double-insulated pumps and are not designed to have a bonding wire attached to the frame of the pump.

The fact that you mentioned a "grounding lug" on the pump motor suggests to me that this is an above-ground pool that is intended to be permanently installed. If that is the case, then you are required to use a minimum of 8 AWG copper wire to bond all the following points together in accordance with NEC 680.26:
  • The conductive frame/shell of the pool at a minimum of 4 points uniformly spaced around its perimeter of the pool.
  • The pump.
  • Other metallic or electrical parts (too numerous for me to list here).
  • The pool water, using something like a skimmer bonding plate per NEC 680.26(C) (see below).
This is a skimmer bonding plate:

51CteuwstUL._AC_SL400_.jpg

You can order this from Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/3lVgqIC

Of course, all electrical equipment must also be properly grounded with an approved EGC and must be GFCI protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.