Above Ground Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

onabudget

Let me start by saying I am not an electrician. I have been schooled by several electricians on most aspects of proper circuitry in residential wiring. I am definitely more capable than the average do-it-yourselfer and pay strict adherence to safety and code.

I have purchased an above ground pool that is being installed in a few days. I have read through 680 and understand the supply requirements and location issues (Ground Fault/twistloc etc).

I am having trouble understanding the proper way to Bond an above ground pool and pump. This appears to be a common place for error and confusion. A close friend who is an electrician has never done any pool related work will be helping me with this install. I want to do this once and right with the safety of my family at hand.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Above Ground Pool Bonding

If you really want a safe installation, get someone who actually knows what he is doing. It seems (based on your post) neither you nor your electrican friend know enough to do this safely.

On top of the safety issues are the very confusing code issues that seemt to surround pool installations. If you install it wrong, the inspector may not approve it. or worse yet, he might not notice something wrong and you only find out about it when something bad happens.

I am a DIYer as well, and feel pretty confident I can take care of a lot of things, but I would hire this kind of thing.

91GTABird

I just did one myself. Depends on your supply source. 110v or 220v? I asked the local PoCo what "They" wanted and went from there. Being a 110v the framing did not need to be grounded. The motor had to be bonded at the panel board with #6 per "local". It has to be GFCI protected.

Get with your local Power Company and ask what they want in addition to the NEC. Here we are still operating off the 02' code. If you want details to how mine was done, reply or PM me.

Brian

pierre

Brian
your post is very confusing, I would review what you posted and see if what you wrote is what you actually installed.

Onabudget
Brian's post is exactly why I would get an EXPERIENCED & QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN to do this installation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I'm with Pierre on this one. Onabudget needs a qualified electrician for this installation. Pools that are wired incorrectly can be deadly. I for one wouldn't want to jump into the pool that Brian has wired. As an apprentice he has shown his inexperience in wiring a pool which can be confusing when applying various sections of Article 680. I would strongly advise anyone without a vast knowledge in this area to avoid wiring a pool for their personal safety and the safety of others.

peter d

Originally posted by 91GTABird:
110v or 220v?
I have to pick up on this because it's one of my pet peeves. There is no standard voltage in the U.S. that is "110" or "220." Yes, we understand what you mean when you say that but it's an amateur term at best. Please be technically correct and use 120/240.

I agree with the others, your post made no sense whatsoever and I should warn you against giving out advice when it appears you don't know what you're talking about. The supply voltage has no bearing on the NEC bonding and grounding requirements of a pool, regardless of what your poco told you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

How about 115, 117, or 118? We've seen them all on various apparatus in the past.

(I know, but it's Sunday, so chill! :D )

peter d

(I know, but it's Sunday, so chill! :D )
Nope, can't do it, that one really gets me aggravated. :p I'm sure you know that I'm talking about standard voltages recognized by the NEC. Appliance and motor voltage ratings are another subject entirely.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I have to pick up on this because it's one of my pet peeves. There is no standard voltage in the U.S. that is "110" or "220." Yes, we understand what you mean when you say that but it's an amateur term at best. Please be technically correct and use 120/240.
This is one of my pet peeves also. At one time I worked for a large firm with hundreds of electricians. I'd say that a majority of them didn't understand the concept of different voltage systems. Their biggest mistake would be calling something 220 when it was part of a 120/208 volt system. This clearly showed their ignorance of something that they had worked on every day.

This may be acceptable for an apprentice who hasn't studied electrical theory but is unacceptable for many of the electricians that I've encountered who have been in the electrical industry for many years.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

Proof that even if you cannot spell electrician, you might still be one?

WRT to standard voltages. IEEE 45 distinguishes between generation voltages 120/208/240/480 and utilization voltages 115/200/230/440, so the standard voltage is not always a clear cut answer.

[ August 30, 2005, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: busman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.