A Correct Statement About Grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruko

This is the statement" The service Grounding Electrode Conductor will be carrying a portion of the imbalance current that the neutral carries". I saw this in a discussion on the web. Is it correct? It doesn't seem to me to be correct.
Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Also with multiple structures that have a common metal water pipe supply system some neutral current will flow on the GEC through the water pipe to the GEC attached to the structure next door and vice versa.

ron

Multigrounded neutral systems like we have in the US (and maybe elsewhere), will cause some portion of the imbalance current that the neutral typically carries, to be on the Grounding Electrode Conductor via the earth on its way back to the source utility.

This IEEE Paper has some good history and description of the issue, although they refer to some IEEE definitions rather than NEC definitions http://www.ecs.csun.edu/~bruno/MultiGroundedNeutralFinal_4-17-7.pdf

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
This situation is a lot more of a problem than most seem to think.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is the statement" The service Grounding Electrode Conductor will be carrying a portion of the imbalance current that the neutral carries". I saw this in a discussion on the web. Is it correct? It doesn't seem to me to be correct.
Ideally, the statement is false.

ruko

Thanks to all. Thanks especially for the pdf on multi grounding system used in the US. It's plain to see there are problems with it.

How could it ever be false in the US? The earth is always a parallel path for the grounded conductor current in a code compliant service fed from a grounded system in the US.
There is significant ungrounded distribution in some parts of the country. Granted Poco usually has a ground rod at the base of the serving pole/transformer to the center tap, but if this was missing/stolen (common) than the NEC grounding electrode would be the sole connection to earth.

Occupation
Home owner
There is significant ungrounded distribution in some parts of the country. Granted Poco usually has a ground rod at the base of the serving pole/transformer to the center tap, but if this was missing/stolen (common) than the NEC grounding electrode would be the sole connection to earth.
How come some non transformer poles have ground wire and some dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.