8ft fluorescent-to-LED conversion questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have re-wired many 4ft fluorescent lights for bypass-type LED tubes, usually without replacing the tombstones, but sometimes with new ones. I know that some take the power at one end, some at both ends, and some accept it at either end.

For converting 8ft tubes, there are 8ft tubes, and there are "tandem" kits for converting a 2x 8ft tube light to a 4x 4ft tube light, with a plate for inserting four tombstones in the center, and obviously replacing the 1-pin tombstones with 2-pin ones.

Is there any advantage to using the tandem kits rather than the direct-fit 8ft tubes? I could see it if the job was in a place where there are already 4ft tubes in use, and they want to use the same tubes, which doesn't apply here; it's a home garage.

Is there anything else I should know? Thank you as always.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
At a shop we service we recently removed all the ballasts and put in 8 foot LED made by Satco. Other than fixing some problems like adding some grounding screws that were missing and fixing a few tombstones it went fairly qiuck.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion, the bypass type is the only way to go whether I physically remove the ballasts or not.

So, you're saying just go with 2x 8ft tubes, rather than using a 4x 4ft kit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would price the 8' vs 2- 4' tubes... Also 8' tubes are harder to deal with but they should last 5 years or more

gar

Occupation
EE
220508-1552 EDT

My own lights, 8', that I have converted were done with direct drive 8' LEDs. No way would I convert to 4'.

My first bulbs were with plastic outer tubes. These are not good because they bend, and require center support. Then I found I could get glass based units.

The second thing I found was that a single 8' LED was producing enough light that I could use one bulb where I previously had two 8' fluorescent bulbs. So a further reduction in power consumption.

I do not have individual circuit protection on each fixture, but I am inclined to add a fuse at each one or two fixtures.

MTW

Another vote for Satco 8’ glass LED tubes, ballast bypass. We washed the reflectors during the service, changed out a case of them for the customers trial. They were very pleased with the results, and haven’t had a falure in 1.5 years of operation.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm finding them for around $25 per in the usual retail places. I happen to need the typical case quantity of ten. I hope to call a couple of my favorite local suppliers tomorrow, but I want to submit the proposal tonight.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The pricing here on 4' vs 8' was the deciding factor on some of my installs. You could buy (3) 4' tubes for what (1) 8' tube costs. Another thing was, on the 4' with 4 tubes, if a tube goes out you still have the other 3. With the 8', you would only have 1 left if you lose one.
Granted, the choice of 4' vs 8' was for new housings and adding the LED tubes. They sell 4' and 8' housings with no ballast. With the 8', they sell both a true 8' or 4' tandem. They are also pre-wired with a "Wago" type connector to connect to the incoming power/switch leg.

If 8' fixtures are already in place, then the 8' LED tube might be best since on the 4' you would have to add the tandem plate, both to the cost and labor, to convert them.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Most suppliers here have 4 foot tubes in stock. 1 could order 8 footers but would only sell by the case, as they are more fragile & clumsy to handle. 4 footers are much easier to store too. Plus you can use them in 4 foot or 8 foot lights; more versatile.
The first ones I used were line/neutral on same end. I hated them because I had to order nonshunted sockets and replace with them to use the tubes. Later, same supplier only had tubes with line one end, neutral on other. I like that best, easier to rework existing sockets. Now, a lot are either way.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
I have re-wired many 4ft fluorescent lights for bypass-type LED tubes, usually without replacing the tombstones, but sometimes with new ones. I know that some take the power at one end, some at both ends, and some accept it at either end.

For converting 8ft tubes, there are 8ft tubes, and there are "tandem" kits for converting a 2x 8ft tube light to a 4x 4ft tube light, with a plate for inserting four tombstones in the center, and obviously replacing the 1-pin tombstones with 2-pin ones.

Is there any advantage to using the tandem kits rather than the direct-fit 8ft tubes? I could see it if the job was in a place where there are already 4ft tubes in use, and they want to use the same tubes, which doesn't apply here; it's a home garage.

Is there anything else I should know? Thank you as always.
Tandems are preferred, because 8ft inseparable poles are a royal PITA to store and transport. That's really the only reason. 8' lamps are less of a problem when you're dealing with them full truck load at once.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tandems are preferred, because 8ft inseparable poles are a royal PITA to store and transport. That's really the only reason. 8' lamps are less of a problem when you're dealing with them full truck load at once.
So, you're saying that the main disadvantage of 8ft tubes is their being 8ft?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Going to retrofit a garage this morning, 12 fixtures. The 8’ are quick and easy. I must be using a better quality LED, I’ve never had an issue with flexing, though I have seen clip kits for sale. The biggest issue will be moving the Boston Whaler out of the way, the trailer has two flat tires! LOL! Had to put the lamps in the conduit rack though, raining pretty heavy today.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
So, you're saying that the main disadvantage of 8ft tubes is their being 8ft?
Yes. That's actually a pretty big deal if you're dealing with less than freight quantities. If you're lamping a Walmart store, there are enough lamps to ship directly to site via freight. An 8' long package is considered oversize and has a surcharge if shipped FedEx, DHL, UPS and such.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I like the looks of 8 footers but 4 footers are much easier to handle and most sup[pliers have them. I got a price on some 8 footers once, pretty high I think. I forget the number.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Also, back in the days, all else being equal, 8' lamps had a slight efficiency advantage, because each lamp-end represented a certain amount of cathode loss. So, two ends per 8' instead of two ends per 4' gave a slight edge. In installations like big box stores with thousands of lamps, it also reduced installation and group re-lamp time especially when comparing 8' single pin vs 4' bi-pin since there's no need to twist or align the orientation.

F96T8/59W was a easy replacement that allowed the reuse of housing for F96T12/75W and F96T8/HO 86W was an easy replacement for 8' 110W.
As the age continues to accumulate, the number of legacy T12 fixtures going for a 2nd round of retrofit is rather few.

For a home garage, going with 4x4 instead of 2x8 is a no brainer. In practice, F32T8s don't really fail for 10+ years in residential use if it has a quality ballast. Bringing in just a handful of 8' lamps is a pain. Bringing home a replacement of a just a handful of 8' lamps is a pain. Storing 8' lamps is a pain.

The low production volume with declining popularity, the high breakage rate in warehouse/transit, difficulty in handling all contribute to higher prices for 8' lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.