78AMPS on neutral mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan M.

I would like to know how to correct the problem of 78amps on the mains neutral bar. I am in a commercial building that has a huge harmonics problem generating from the computer room or some other source within the building.Thanks.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: 78AMPS on neutral mains

There is a lot of information on Mike Holts web site. Fluke Co has the meters to do tests. Check there web site for information on Harmonics.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

How big is the service? Is 78A an excessive amount of unbalance for this service? Is this a three phase system?
Don

charlie tuna

nat,
if you are sure it is a harmonics problem--then you have had some testing equipment monitor the service.... how much is harmonics and how much is unbalance?? don't assume that because you have computer loads that you have harmonics... 78 amps on a 4000 amp service isn't anything to worry about---but 78 amps on a 400 amp service should be corrected!!!

OneWay

Originally posted by Nathan M.:
I would like to know how to correct the problem of 78amps on the mains neutral bar. I am in a commercial building that has a huge harmonics problem generating from the computer room or some other source within the building.Thanks.
Over size your neutrals feeding the Computer room, I believe some refer to it as a "Super-Neutral" may want to research this.Typical application when dealing with potential harmonic differiances.

Status
Not open for further replies.