Dan120

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello, so it’s to my understanding that according to 680.24(B) I don’t need a junction box for a 12v pool luminaire, I could run the conduit directly to the transformer. More or less my question is if I am interpreting the code correctly, how would comply with 240.24(E)? Also does the cord need to be fully protected from where the PVC pipe stubs up 8” to the transformer? Thanks for the help.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, only a no-niche luminaire (referred to as nicheless lights) does not require a pool junction box and can be terminated in a transformer.
A wet-niche luminaire therefore requires a pool junction box.

I have not installed a wet niche light on any new pool or spa in more than 15 years since the introduction of the nicheless light. Even on reno jobs I will terminate original wet niche lights and add the nicheless type.

I will use an approved pool deck/junction box with a cord strain relief. It's easier to pull the light cord straight up into the deck box over wrestling around a transformers and it's sharp edges and tight confines.

I use the Intermatic PJ series boxes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, only a no-niche luminaire (referred to as nicheless lights) does not require a pool junction box and can be terminated in a transformer.
A wet-niche luminaire therefore requires a pool junction box.

I have not installed a wet niche light on any new pool or spa in more than 15 years since the introduction of the nicheless light. Even on reno jobs I will terminate original wet niche lights and add the nicheless type.

I will use an approved pool deck/junction box with a cord strain relief. It's easier to pull the light cord straight up into the deck box over wrestling around a transformers and it's sharp edges and tight confines.

I use the Intermatic PJ series boxes.

It appears you can forego the junction box if you meet the requirements below that are for a no-niche luminaire. Otherwise, I believe the JB is necessary.

680.24(B) Other Enclosures.
An enclosure for a transformer, ground-fault circuit interrupter, or a similar device connected to a conduit that extends directly to a forming shell or mounting bracket of a no-niche luminaire shall meet the requirements of this section.
(1) Construction.
The enclosure shall be listed and labeled for the purpose and meet the following requirements:
  • (1)
    Equipped with threaded entries or hubs or a nonmetallic hub
  • (2)
    Comprised of copper, brass, suitable plastic, or other approved corrosion-resistant material
  • (3)
    Provided with sealing compound identified for use with cable insulation, conductor insulation, bare conductor, shield, or other components, sat the conduit connection, that prevents circulation of air between the conduit and the enclosures
  • (4)
    Provided with electrical continuity between every connected metal conduit and the grounding terminals by means of copper, brass, or other approved corrosion-resistant metal that is integral with the box