600V System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfro

I recently came across the attached power distribution system. The service point and step up transformer deliver power to remote sites anywhere from 1000 feet to a mile away. The system is not in a residence or commercial building. It is probably more considered an industry application, outdoors.

The remote locations have a fused disconnect switch, a step down transformer, a second disconnect switch on the secondary side of the step down transformer. The step down transformer is typically 600V to 120V.

Based on some research, the ?step up? transformer used is actually a step down transformer wired in reverse. The manufacturer allows the reverse installation with the corner ground.

I see some potential issues and wanted to get some other opinions.

For example, one issue ? what if for some reason the step up transformer does not get the corner ground? This is a possibility considering there is no ground lead on the high side of the transformer.

Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• 600V.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think it would be appropriate for the 600V side to not be grounded, or to remove the fuse in the grounded conductor.

there is no actual neutral on the 600V side. It is just a grounded conductor.

I also see no reason to have a disconnect switch on the secondary side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.