600A Single Family Residential Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asked to take a look at a 600A Single Family Residential power distribution system that is under construction. The AHJ said that's required since 600A "qualifies as a commercial service." I've reviewed (what I think are) the relevant sections of the NEC, but didn't find any restrictions on service size for a Single-Family Residential occupancy. I've also scoured the internet and found multiple descriptions of services this large for larger Single-Family occupancies. I wanted to post this here in case I overlooked or missed something. Thank you.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
What is your role? Electrician or Engineer? Does your local power company or local codes require this?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Not necessarily a commercial service, but may be over the limit on your license, I don’t know about South Carolina, but in Georgia, I believe class 1 (basically a residential license) is restricted to 400 amps and under. That may be what the inspector is getting at.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’m missing what exactly the inspector is saying is required.

There is no limit though for residential service size. I’ve worked on several homes with 1200A to 2000A 3-phase services.

600A isn’t common but I’ve done a few. Usually install a 600A trans-socket and feed three 200A disconnects. Some of the rural utilities I work with will require a CT cabinet above 400A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.