555.3 Require GFI on all conductors on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Section/Paragraph: 555.3

New Text

555.3 Ground-Fault Protection.
The main overcurrent protective device that feeds the marina shall have ground fault protection not exceeding 100 mA. Ground-fault protection of each individual branch or feeder circuit shall be permitted as a suitable alternative. Ground-fault protection shall be provided for all conductors on the structure over or adjacent to the water intended to provide berthing or moorage.

Exception: This shall not apply to circuits of less than 30 actual volts or telephone communications circuits.

Substantiation

The water, electrical circuits, individually owned and maintained boats, and motion due to the water combine to make marinas and boatyards potentially hazardous locations for persons in the water. Current leakages occurring in the water may cause Electric Shock Drownings (ESD).

Circuits need to be protected their entire length. This new provision would require all conductors to be GFI protected prior to entering the dock area.

For more information please view: http://www.electricshockdrowning.org/

Inserted Deleted

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I like the idea, but I see this wording:
"Ground-fault protection of each individual branch or feeder circuit shall be permitted as a suitable alternative."
acting as an exception, even to your new wording.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I really think that the protection should be for all ungrounded conductors, not all conductors.
The circuit is protected by interrupting only its ungrounded conductors.

fmtjfw

I like the idea, but I see this wording:
"Ground-fault protection of each individual branch or feeder circuit shall be permitted as a suitable alternative."
acting as an exception, even to your new wording.

Yes, It would allow the feeder to be GFI'ed at say 100mA and the branches at say 30mA, or dare I say it GFCI at 6mA.

Would it be any better to break it up?

Ground fault protection shall be provided as required by 555.3(1) and (2).

(1) The main overcurrent protective device that feeds the marina shall have ground fault protection not exceeding 100 mA. Ground-fault protection of each individual branch or feeder circuit shall be permitted as a suitable alternative.

(2) Ground-fault protection shall be provided for all conductors on the structure over or adjacent to the water intended to provide berthing or moorage.

Exception: This shall not apply to circuits of less than 30 actual volts or telephone communications circuits.

That would indicate that both rules must be met.

fmtjfw

555.3 Require GFI on all conductors, except grounding REVISED again

555.3 Require GFI on all conductors, except grounding REVISED again

(1)
The main overcurrent protective device that feeds the marina shall have ground fault protection not exceeding 100 mA. Ground-fault protection of each individual branch or feeder circuit shall be permitted as a suitable alternative.

(2) Ground-fault protection shall be provided for all conductors, other than grounding conductors, on structures over or adjacent to the water intended to provide berthing or moorage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

(1)
The main overcurrent protective device that feeds the marina shall have ground fault protection not exceeding 100 mA. Ground-fault protection of each individual branch or feeder circuit shall be permitted as a suitable alternative.

(2) Ground-fault protection shall be provided for all conductors, other than grounding conductors, on structures over or adjacent to the water intended to provide berthing or moorage.

That should work.

fmtjfw

SORRY about double posting.

SORRY about double posting.

Somehow I posted this thing twice. For reasons unknown, I used to stay logged into the forum for weeks and now I've had to log in several times a day. I think the confusion around that caused the double posting. SORRY.

Status
Not open for further replies.