517.13 NEC Handbook 'Explanation'

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 517.13 NEC Handbook 'Explanation'

First of all let me say I can't see any reason that PVC below concrete or encased in concrete provides a lesser protection (517.30(C)) than a metalic conduit would.

If a backhoe hit a concrete incased PVC conduit, it would fair better than a piece of RMC being hit.

Steve,
Are you sure the feeder from the generator to the transfer switch is considered part of the emergency system? I can't find anything that says yes or no.
I don't have my NFPA 99 here to reference, but as far as the NEC, figures 517.30 No.1 and 517.30 No.2 both show (inside the brackets) the "alternate source" being part of the "Essential electrical systems" which would make the Gen Set part of the "Emergency" system.

Roger

[ April 09, 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

websparky

I agree!
emsys.gif

brentp

If the code makers want a metal raceway installed for the entire emergency system, for grounding/bonding purposes, they should just come out and say so, ie.. lose the "Mechanical Protection of the Emergency System" verbage in 517.30(C)(3). Requiring a metal raceway ONLY for "mechanical protection", disregarding concrete cover, makes no sense to me.

If anyone disagrees, PLEASE set me straight!

p.s.- Sorry for being so blunt. :)

dcv

BRENTP I've read your post for sometime and I learn a lot from them ,but I have to ask how much longer are you going to toy with these guys with this post....... let 'em in on it

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

dcv, since you've read all 16 (to date) of Brents posts and seem to know him quite well, why don't you let us in on the secret?

Roger

[ April 16, 2004, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

brentp

Roger,

dcv is "toying with me". I have a 'theory' about this 517 topic he wants me to post. I need to do a little more thinking about the subject before I post.

Status
Not open for further replies.