501.15 (e)(1), (d)(1), (b)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgorno

501.15 (E)(1), Cables seals in a Div.2 area, entering an XP enclosure are required to comply with (B)(1). (B)(1) requires CONDUIT seal for the cable.

I am in a Div. 2 area, entering an XP enclosure, but using MC-HL cable with listed Div. 1 connector/cable seal. (D)(1) allows a listed cable seal fitting in a Div. 1 area. Do I need to transition to my enclosure with an additional conduit seal or does my MC-HL cable seal suit the purpose? How come 501.15(E)(1) does not refer to (D)(1) in addition to (B)(1)? Am I missing something? :-?

Thanks,
Bob G.

kameele

I've used the MC-HL cable a few times and as long as the fitting is listed for the area, there is no problem. I guess I never read it in quite as much depth as you have, but my impression after going over it a few times is that you're not required to use an actual conduit seal, but that the listed fitting that you do use has to comply with B(1). ie within 18", x-proof between, etc.

I agree, if B(1) references A(1), it seems logical that E(1) should reference D(1)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Actually the reference should have been to 501.15(C), just as it is in Section 501.15(D)(1).

Status
Not open for further replies.