4th conductor for bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlgii

I recently installed a service to a residential log cabin. Since the breaker box was 15 feet away from outside wall, I installed a 200 amp disconnect switch under the meter. From the disconnect, I installed 2-#4/0 and 1-#2/0 for the ground. The power company refused to hook up because they said that I needed to add and additional bonding conductor from the disconnect to the breaker box. Is this correct?

iwire

Staff member
Re: 4th conductor for bonding

Yes.

Once you install your service disconnect, you must keep the neutral isolated from the grounding conductor.

So from the service disconnect to the panel indoors you need 4 wires

2 ungrounded Conductor

1 Grounded Conductor

1 Grounding Conductor

jtester

while I might agree with the above two posts in this specific instance, 250.32(B)(2) recognizes that an equipment grounding conductor might not be run in feeders serving more than 1 building or structure, and when it isn't run, this paragraph tells you how to connect the grounding system. How do we reconcile running grounding conductors in all cases, with this section which clearly recognizes that they aren't? The utility guy in me says that there is no reason for a ground wire to a separate building, at least as a general rule.
Jim T

charlie

Jim, you actually are looking at it backward. Assume just three wires in a 1? feeder from the home to the garage. If anything metal, gas pipe, water pipe, telephone with a ground, CATV cable with a shield, etc. is taken from the house to the garage now or in the future, he has a problem. Whatever metallic path that has been installed is now in parallel with the neutral and becomes a current carrying conductor.

The reality is that carrying the fourth wire is the rule and once in a while you can get by with three wires. :D

hurk27

jtester The code only allows a three wire feed to another building when there are no other parallel paths that can cause a problem when the neutral is used for bonding of the metal in this out building. when a service disconect is mounted on the same structure that also the panel is installed in there will be all kinds of parallel paths that could share the neutral current, which could be a shock hazard. This is why we must run 4 conductors after the main service disconect so none of the grounding in the building will have any neutral current on it that could be at a lower voltage than it would be found at the service grounding.

jtester

wayne and charlie
I don't disagree with you guys, I just don't know where Code says we must.
I don't know if it is economics, technology, or what, but slowly, evidence to support my argument that "it's how utility systems operate" is fading away. Clearly though in the past, with metal water lines, gas lines, sewer lines, CATV sheaths, etc., utility systems operated this way for years.
Jim T.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jim,
I agree with you,about the need for the fourth wire, but the code is clear that we must provide in any case where there is aparallel path. The electrons behave the same way on both sides of the cash register, so why are the rules different on one side? Unless the electrons "smart" enough to know who owns them, the hazard, or lack there of, is the same on both sides of the meter? Bennie, also made the point the the fault clearing capacity at the second building is reduced when the fourth wire is used, because in most cases the EGC is smaller than the grounded conductor.
Don

massey

I recently started working with a new Electrical
And they use alot of ringless feedthrew meters.
My question is with bonding, they are feeding from the ringless feedthrew with a 200 amp main
breaker to the panelbox inside the house is this considered a subfed panel done like this if so does a four wire need to be run and the ground and neutral need to be isolated.

hurk27

jtester
I just don't know where Code says we must.
Look at 250.24(A)(5)
5) Load-Side Grounding Connections. A grounding connection shall not be made to any grounded circuit conductor on the load side of the service disconnecting means except as otherwise permitted in this article.

FPN: See 250.30(A) for separately derived systems, 250.32 for connections at separate buildings or structures, and 250.142 for use of the grounded circuit conductor for grounding equipment.
Then 250.32(B)(2) for the requirement of separate buildings or structures.:

(2) Grounded Conductor. Where (1) an equipment grounding conductor is not run with the supply to the building or structure, (2) there are no continuous metallic paths bonded to the grounding system in both buildings or structures involved, and (3) ground-fault protection of equipment has not been installed on the common ac service, the grounded circuit conductor run with the supply to the building or structure shall be connected to the building or structure disconnecting means and to the grounding electrode(s) and shall be used for grounding or bonding of equipment, structures, or frames required to be grounded or bonded. The size of the grounded conductor shall not be smaller than the larger of
And 250.142 for where the grounded service conductor is allowed to also ground equipment on the supply side of the service only:

A) Supply-Side Equipment. A grounded circuit conductor shall be permitted to ground non?current-carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other enclosures at any of the following locations:
(1) On the supply side or within the enclosure of the ac service-disconnecting means
(2) On the supply side or within the enclosure of the main disconnecting means for separate buildings as provided in 250.32(B)
(3) On the supply side or within the enclosure of the main disconnecting means or overcurrent devices of a separately derived system where permitted by 250.30(A)(1)
Now you know. :D

jtester

hurk27
Thanks for the help. I read your post and 250.32(B) a couple of more times and finally see the light.
If I had 2 buildings on my property, and I fed the second from the first, I would run an EGC. If I asked for two services from the utility there would a common neutral between the two, with no separate EGC. Since I worked for utilities for many years, and did this with no concern for interconnecting metallic paths, I still wonder how it wasn't a problem. Or maybe should I change my name, or move to Brazil?
Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.