480V, 1PH, 3W (Center Grounded) Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Is it legal to use a 240V to 480V (center grounded) transformer (fed from a 120/240, 2w system) to supply a single phase feeder? (The 480V side would have ungrounded conductors with 240V to ground). Looking to mitigate voltage drop by stepping up, running, and then stepping down the feeder near the utilization equipment. Thanks in advance.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Yes, treat it just like any other transformer installation. Grounding electrodes and all.

Assuming it was not center grounded, would it be any different to ground a phase conductor so that ungrounded conductor to ground is 480V?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It can be, but center tapped is a better route to go, the voltage to ground would be reduced to 240 volts. Doing a 150 amp underground feed that way in the next couple of weeks.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
It can be, but center tapped is a better route to go, the voltage to ground would be reduced to 240 volts. Doing a 150 amp underground feed that way in the next couple of weeks.

Can you elaborate how it can be? Please provide code reference. Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The two-wire feeder has been discussed here before, including a drawing, but I don't know the keywords to do a search.

Why not step up to 600v and back?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Is it legal to use a 240V to 480V (center grounded) transformer (fed from a 120/240, 2w system) to supply a single phase feeder? (The 480V side would have ungrounded conductors with 240V to ground). Looking to mitigate voltage drop by stepping up, running, and then stepping down the feeder near the utilization equipment. Thanks in advance.

See 450.11 (B)

You might also have much higher inrush than from a factory made step up unit.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
See 450.11 (B)

You might also have much higher inrush than from a factory made step up unit.

Good reference. Thank you.

IMO the step up step down scheme is a horrible solution, but I admit sometimes the only option. You have the cost of the transformers, the losses 24/7 forever, and the poor voltage regulation of two transformers. Many times you are better off just running big aluminum wire. If you are going to do transformers, quit messing around and go up to MV. At the very least go to 600 like Larry said.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
I did a cost of transformers with primary and secondary fused disconnects vs larger Al wire a few months ago. Larger wire was a hands down winner just with up front costs.

I agree it’s may not be the best solution in every application; however, let’s not forget that transformers have the benefit of tap adjustments to overcome voltage drop. Also, if the transformers are supplying 2w systems, the primary OCPD can be used to protect the secondary conductors.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
IMO the step up step down scheme is a horrible solution, but I admit sometimes the only option. You have the cost of the transformers, the losses 24/7 forever, and the poor voltage regulation of two transformers. Many times you are better off just running big aluminum wire. If you are going to do transformers, quit messing around and go up to MV. At the very least go to 600 like Larry said.

Transformer losses are practically negligible. As far as voltage regulation goes, it’s actually improved vs running a long feeder at the utilization voltage. This is why the utility transmission/distribution systems are not done at the utilization voltage. They take advantage of the larger impedances found with higher voltage systems and the voltage division principle to minimize line losses.

Biggest downside as you’ve mentioned is the cost of two transformers and of course the installation requirements that come with this type of system.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The two-wire feeder has been discussed here before, including a drawing, but I don't know the keywords to do a search.

Why not step up to 600v and back?
As some know ,this is my favorite method. Have to run the numbers for your case to see if this is advantageous or just more wire is the way to go.

Attachments

• Outside Electrical Feeder Diagram_revised_2.pdf
    599.8 KB · Views: 15

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
As some know ,this is my favorite method. Have to run the numbers for your case to see if this is advantageous or just more wire is the way to go.

Nice diagram. Why don’t you have an EGC ran between structures?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That set up I’m doing is saving the customer $22,000,the transformer losses in the long run is negligible compared to the savings short term in this particular application.

Status
Not open for further replies.