422.16(B)(3) can this be a wall mounted drawer type microwave oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Would the receptacle for a wall mounted microwave drawer type be used behind and in walled enclosure used for the built in oven qualify under(NEC 2017) "422.16(B)(3) Wall-mounted Ovens and Counter-Mounted Cooking Units. ........ shall be permitted to be permanently connected or, only for ease in servicing or for installation, cord and plug-connected."
It seems this instance is one that seems to allow a receptacle for a cord and plug-connected appliance to be not readily accessible? Is this correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe any receptacles are required to be readily accessible. Range receptacles often come with cord & Plug

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't believe any receptacles are required to be readily accessible. Range receptacles often come with cord & Plug
My question is does a built-in microwave oven fall into the category covered by 422.16(B)(3)?
Perhaps the wording of "readily" not necessarily relevant or needed but a range is technically accessible, but a wall mount wouldn't be unless physically unbolting and removing oven. And it seems the section of code referenced would preclude the need for receptacle to be accessible for a built-in cooking unit.
The question is a result of a bolt-in microwave that has no means for the plug to be accessible once it is installed to mfg requirements. So I'm hoping to preempt any issues that inspector might toss in of receptacles not being accessible without unbolting the microwave.
Is a built in microwave oven a "cooking unit" for the purpose of section 422.16(B)(3)?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being
removed or exposed without damaging the building structure
or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish
of the building.

I see no issue but why not use a breaker lock and just direct wire the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.