400 amp service - two 200 a panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkerton81

New User
Occupation
engineer
All - please help verify my design as i am getting some mixed information. I am building a home with a detached garage. My utility requires that I set the meter can and they feed it from above.
  • Meter can will be set on side of garage and feed one 200 amp panel directly behind
  • The second panel will also be a 200 amp and be set inside the home 42 feet from the meter

My plan is to use a dual lug meter and feed directly to the garage panel, then the second feed will be to a 200 amp breaker next to the meter. Then from the 200 amp breaker, I will feed to the 200 amp panel into the home via underground conduit. My question is what wire to run to the panel in the home and what size conduit? My understanding is that aluminum 4/0 4/0 2/0 is adequate and 2.5" PVC sched 80 is best. What I don't understand is whether or not I need to also run a #4 (green) equipment ground wire. I would prefer not to run this wire and simply run it from the ground rod directly below the panel in the house

Please advise - and thanks!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately, we are not allowed to help non-electricians with their DIY projects. I realize you are an engineer however we have engineers who are moderators and they fall under the same restrictions. There is a diychatroom.com where you can get help. Many electricians from here frequent that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.