400 Amp service panel into (2) 200 Amp panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJoule

New User
Occupation
Restaurants
My 1st Solar project on my own commercial building. Also, new to the forum.
50KW, 135 Enphase micro-inverters to 5 Enphase Aggregators. Will be bringing (10) #4 wires down the wall in 2" conduit.

Here's the problem:
Engineer called for a 400 Amp lug service panel that will house a total of (3) 50 Amp CB's and (2) 40 Amp CB's.
I can't seem to find a 400 Amp panel in short time. Also, they cost ridiculous bank, too much lead time and way too many spaces (42) for this project.
I have mounted a Seimen's 400 Amp AC disconnect already, no problem there with 240V, 225 Amp fuses connected to my existing 400 Amp Main Disconnect.

So my thinking is, can I simply take my 5 circuits coming down the building in the 2" conduit, run it into a large J-box (as a raceway, no connections) then split this into 2 feeds (3 circuits and 2 circuits) each feeding their own 200 Amp panel. Much more readily available and they have only 8 spaces in them with their own 200 Amp main CB.

Does this setup sound acceptable? I want to proceed ahead of the engineers approval because he takes forever to respond. I realize that the AHJ will want to see the documented change but I am tired of waiting and want to get the line wiring buttoned up. Any thoughts? Thanx

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.