400 amp residential service

Status
Not open for further replies.

KushElectric

Occupation
Electrician
So I am looking to change my 200 amp meter base to 400 amp. I will be needing a three 100 amp breakers to feed three 100 amp panels as well as 2- 2 pole 30 amp circuits. I’m looking a combo style panel setup. I am from the industrial electrical world so the res. panelS I’m not sure of my choices. Any suggestions on panel meter combos for this kind of need ?

KushElectric

Occupation
Electrician
I only have a existing 200 amp meter base to a 200 amp panel in my cabin. I’m so I will have three buildings all needing 100 amps. I see these 400A meter base combos but only see 2-4 spaces in the load side. Just trying to keep from having a trough and a huge back board set up with meter base and two panels

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Last edited:

KushElectric

Occupation
Electrician
IMO, 1st thing you need to do is develop a load calculation for the service as a whole and the individual feeders.
Is 400 amp going to be adequate ?
Siemens has some 320/400 amp meter mods with a 200 amp sub-feed and 8 or more branch spaces available
( EUSERC ) pg 2-47
The 400amps will be adequate my load is only about 250-300 now with current and loads described in first post. The 100 amp circuits are over kill but my main issue was a meter base and panel combo with that kind of rating with more than two spaces for breakers. The one you posted seems like a good choice

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I need 400 amps and abilities to use that with a four 2 pole breakers. I am just looking for meter combo ideas.
In no particular order:

KushElectric

Occupation
Electrician
IMO, 1st thing you need to do is develop a load calculation for the service as a whole and the individual feeders.
Is 400 amp going to be adequate ?
Siemens has some 320/400 amp meter mods with a 200 amp sub-feed and 8 or more branch spaces available
( EUSERC ) pg 2-47
Thanks this is what I was looking
In no particular order:

Thanks man

MIKEWVA

How would you do a 350amp overhead service on the 2020 code cycle with the service disconnect? The mast is going thru roof and going to have 200amp and 150amp interior panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.