#4 or #6 Ground wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbsi

On a strip shopping center there is six meters and six disconnects, one for each suite. They are 200amp three phase service. The "feeder" (I think) that would run from the 200amp fused disconnect under ground to the indoor panel with three hot 3/0, one 3/0 neutral, and one #6 gnd (200ft). The indoor panel has a ground rod, water ground and building steel ground with #4 wire. Is this correct or would the ground wire feeding the panels need to be a #4 also?

charlie

Re: #4 or #6 Ground wire?

Take a look at section 250.122 since this is a feeder and not service conductors. The feeder conductors have not been up-sized for any reason so the grounding conductor would not need to be either. :D

sandsnow

Re: #4 or #6 Ground wire?

Your description of the grounding connections leave me with questions.
At the indoor panels, where are these grounding connections made? These connections are required to be made at the service equipment. Supplemental grounding is permitted at the indoor panel, though not necessary or recommended for this type of installation.
Is the neutral bonded to the enclosure/ground buss? It is not permitted.
Is the service equipment remote from the building with the suites? Then things could be different.

I agree the #6 in the feeder conduit is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.