4- 11/16 square box x 1 1/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I've got a job where the wall is going to be firred out, and I have to use the shallowness box I can. I'm pulling other circuits through the box, and I need to use a 4 -11/16" x 1 1/2" deep. Can't find one that shallow anywhere so far. Any ideas where I might get one? The code list it in the table for cubic inches. I need 25.5 cubic inches to meet the box fill and need to stay shallow.
Thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've got a job where the wall is going to be firred out, and I have to use the shallowness box I can. I'm pulling other circuits through the box, and I need to use a 4 -11/16" x 1 1/2" deep. Can't find one that shallow anywhere so far. Any ideas where I might get one? The code list it in the table for cubic inches. I need 25.5 cubic inches to meet the box fill and need to stay shallow.
Thanks
Look for a RACO 245, 246, or 247 box. They are all 1-1/2" deep, just different combinations of 1/2" and 3/4" KO's.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Local suppliers are probably just carrying the 2 1/8" deep not the 1 1/2" deep. Go online and find it. Amazon has it, homedepot, Garvin Industries, etc

Graingers has it also...

gadfly56

Occupation
How deep is the furring? A 1.5" box won't fit if the furring is 1.5".
If the OP says he needs a 1-1/2" deep box, I assume he knows what he needs. A standard 2x4 mounted "sideways" gets you a 1-1/2" deep bay. If you're putting 1/2" or 5/8" dry wall on the studs there shouldn't be a problem. I'd be more concerned with getting any cable through the stud and not getting damaged by nails or screws. Would have to use nail plates or go in and out of the top plate only.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the OP says he needs a 1-1/2" deep box, I assume he knows what he needs. A standard 2x4 mounted "sideways" gets you a 1-1/2" deep bay. If you're putting 1/2" or 5/8" dry wall on the studs there shouldn't be a problem. I'd be more concerned with getting any cable through the stud and not getting damaged by nails or screws. Would have to use nail plates or go in and out of the top plate only.
An 1 ½" deep box with the screw heads and the cover on it is deeper than 1 ½" and will stick out past the studs.

Regarding the OP we use 4 11/16" X 1 ½" deep boxes all of the time so they're readily available.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I believe the 4 11/16 box is 1 5/8" not 1 1/2" . Same is true for a 4x4, however I have made it work. The sheetrock may bulge but I never had an issue using it...

gadfly56

Occupation
An 1 ½" deep box with the screw heads and the cover on it is deeper than 1 ½" and will stick out past the studs.

Regarding the OP we use 4 11/16" X 1 ½" deep boxes all of the time so they're readily available.
Maybe I don't understand, but the sheet rock is going to get you at least 2" of depth total, if you are attaching the box to a CMU wall in the basement for example, and I assume you're not trying to bury the box, so what's the issue?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We would simply chip or bust the block behind the box, it was a common installation in the old days and to speed things up on EMT jobs we used an offset bender to enter the box.

Roger

sparkync

Thanks for all the replies. I just need 2 boxes and so far all the raco boxes come in bulk. Lowes or Home Depot don't have them locally. The wall is to be furred out only 1 7/8 " with 1/2" sheet rock. I'm going to use a 1/2" plaster ring on a 4" box. The wire is going to be run in pvc conduit because there are no studs to run it through yet. It was originally just going to be just on cement block, but owner changed his mind. No ceiling or crawl space to work in. Simplest way is to run 3/4" pvc along wall and let who ever does the furring strips deal with the pvc. I need the extra space in the first box especially for a GFI outlet and other conductors. Thanks, Don't want to buss concrete block if I don't have to. Also need it before Monday. I found where I might can get what I want, but don't look like it will before Monday. Still looking. Thanks

Maybe I don't understand, but the sheet rock is going to get you at least 2" of depth total, if you are attaching the box to a CMU wall in the basement for example, and I assume you're not trying to bury the box, so what's the issue?
The problem is you can't use a 1 gang mud ring on the 1.5 inch box. To make this work with 1.5" furring (and without chipping a a recess in the block), you can use a two gang MR and make it a quad, and have the drywaller do his cutout around the entire 4s box. If the cutout us good the plate will cover it. If not, an oversized plate should do it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
We would simply chip or bust the block behind the box, it was a common installation in the old days and to speed things up on EMT jobs we used an offset bender to enter the box.

Roger
That's what we did. A bit of a butcher job but we would find the web and bust the block and use a regular plastic nail on box. Years ago I did find a 4" sq box that was 1" deep. I did buy a bunch of them for this purpose. Use a deep mud ring and it worked out fine. I am almost certain we used the standard 4" sq also and it worked with a 1/4" raised ring

sparkync

By the way, the raco 245, 246, 247, seems to be a 2 gang. Will a 1/2" raised plaster ring still work? I need one with screws just like a 4" square.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
By the way, the raco 245, 246, 247, seems to be a 2 gang. Will a 1/2" raised plaster ring still work? I need one with screws just like a 4" square.
Thanks
Yes a multi-gang box will get you the needed square inches but the 1 ½" deep box with the raised cover will be sticking out past the face of the stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.