312.5 c fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveiniowa

New User
Hello All! I recently installed a panel on the surface of a wall and installed the nm "romex" wiring in the wall and placed the wires in the panel through 2" pvc terminal adaptors. The inspector failed the installation siting 312.5 c. I cannot find the wording siting the infraction. Can anyone help me out? Thanks guys! Stay cool!

Steve!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To start:
top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonfexible raceways not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Each cable needs to be connected to the enclosure with a listed connector. 312.5(C) is very clear:

312.5 (C) Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was not trying to imply that the exception was applicable in this case. I was simply stating that to start the Section states "cables (in a raceway) shall be permitted to enter the top" and, to me, the OP indicated the cables enter thru a male adapter in the back of the panel.
As pointed out, there were other problems such as securing to the cabinet.
My intent was to show the exception was not applicable in this case.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There have been proposals to allow it every code cycle for the last 30 years.
With the exception of Dennis's proposal, CMP 9 has turned down every proposal.
There are too many hazards with arc flash and a stud wall, as some of the code change proposals did some testing.
Note also: Most romex connectors are only listed for two cables.
Bridgeport does make one that fits more.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I once called Halex to ask the cable-quantity rating of their standard 1/2" NM pop-in connector, because an inspector pinged me on having three cables in each one, and said only two. When they told me "one", I said "Thank you" and made it two from then on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There have been proposals to allow it every code cycle for the last 30 years.
With the exception of Dennis's proposal, CMP 9 has turned down every proposal.
There are too many hazards with arc flash and a stud wall, as some of the code change proposals did some testing.
Bridgeport does make one that fits more.

Hey, I never checked-- what did they say....I'll try and find it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here was the response to my proposal to do away with the raceway bot penetrating a structural ceiling

Public Input No. 2812-NFPA 70-2017
Section No. 312.5(C)
Response Message: This exception was developed during the 1993 and 1996 code cycles and first appeared in the 1999 NEC. During the development and after it was published, this exception has been the subject of many proposals and comments. The reason for the surface mounted condition is that there is no need for the use of the sleeve in a flush mounted application as the conductors are protected from damage by the wall covering. The limitation of entering the “top of a surface mounted enclosure” was to assure that the outer raceway termination won’t be easily accessible. The substantiation for Condition #2 is to prevent the spread of fire or products of combustion and to ensure that the fitting remains accessible after the installation. CMP 9 continues to support the substantiation for the exception and determines the current requirements are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.