30 amp range cord!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajarus

I installed a branch for a range. Everything on the nameplate and paperwork said it was 30 amp rated circuit breaker for the supply. The cord and plug was 4 wire 50 amp rated,it was GE and UL listed.I could see a safety issue if the range was moved and plugged in,consumers plug in,they don't read manuals!What is up with this?

ryan_618

Re: 30 amp range cord!!

I don't have my book here, but I think 210.21 or maybe 210.19 allows this. I beleive this is only a concern when the circuit rating is in excess of 50 amps.

In all honesty, I don't see a problem. As long as the rating of the breaker is less than the receptacle, but still greater than the load served, and the wires are sized to the OCPD, where is the safety concern?

If it said 50 Amp supply and came with a 30 amp cord and receptacle, I would have a problem.

tajarus

What I am trying to say is this: When these people move next year and take this range they will plug it into a 50 amp range circuit. Everything on the range is rated for 30 amp OCP. Why do they have a 50 amp plug?? I put a 30 amp breaker in, and wired to manufacturers instructions. You know they will plug it into a 50 amp receptacle when they move, and it will not be correct.

ryan_618

Did the manufacturer list a minimum/maximum OCPD rating, such as 30-50? How do you know that the components are not rated for 50 amps? Better still, why do think the appliance will draw 50 amps?

lpg

Is this for a dual fuel range? (Gas cook top, Electric oven, If so these are rated at 30 amp by the manufacturer)

luke warmwater

Out of all of the electric ranges that I've ever seen, I haven't seen one that actually came with a factory installed cord. They have always been field installed. This is new to me.

jimwalker

I think appliance stores are putting most of them on.Would be a cheap way to insure a sale.Who wants to buy a new range and then pay a SC to get sparky to put the cord on.

pierre

I myself have not seen ranges or dryers sold with a cord, and laugh at the same reaction I get from the customer each time I have to explain to them, that I have to charge them for the cord and installation :D

If the manufacturer sells 2 million ranges and does not provide the cord, they save about $36,000,000.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: that is not so cheap.

Pierre

jimwalker

Yes but if the selling store says they will put it on at no charge ,the customer buys it from them and store makes it's hundred bucks.A delivery guy at $10 hour putts it on.Cord plus 15 min = ??
In 20 years and thousands of houses i maybe put on 20 cords.Usually the customer after asking price says never mind,they will do it

tonyi

Installers/owners don't always follow the directions though... I've fixed several 4-wire hookups where the factory's neutral/frame bond strap was left in place on the unit :(

IMO, there should be a large sticker sticker with an arrow near the hookup terminals stating something like "Remove this strap for a 4-wire hookup. Ensure neutral/frame connection for 3-wire hookup."

I'd bet there's many thousands, perhaps millions of 4-wire units in the field that are hooked up incorrectly.

tonyi

The number of 3-wire stove/dryers I've seen hanging off subs is substantial. For that matter, the number of 3-wire subs I've seen is also substantial. For some reason a lot of people apparently thought doing 3-wire dryers with 10-2 Romex was the thing to do and hijacked the bare gnd for the neutral :roll: ...real sweet when that's in a sub touching a bunch of other bare gnds :mad:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

"You know they will plug it into a 50 amp receptacle when they move, and it will not be correct."

No code violation. If you think so, please direct me to the reference.

Mike P.

jimwalker

Kinda defeats the seperate grd and nuetrals and whats worse we now have a parallel neutral.
On that other note of it being moved and now plugs into a 50 is there a problem ?
Was it rated 30 because that is a 2 burner small oven job and 30 is enough?
The correct thing to do is this.If name plate says 30 amp circuit then use 30 amp cord.There is no violation if you change the 50 recept to a 30 and refuse or breaker it to 30.The wire is allowed to be larger.
You might create 1 violation in doing this ,and that is removing a required 50 amp range receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.