3 way switch solution needed for EMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverbk

OK playing with my new EMF/ELF meter I have found huge fields in my mother in laws house, she's 81.

I have tracked them down to the water ground, I get readings of 60 mG next to the wire. Sequentially opening each breaker, I found three problem circuits.

She has an Oxygen concentrator that runs 24/7 providing her with o2, moving that to a different receptacle dropped the readings in half. I plan on running her a dedicated line for this device as well as the two air conditioners she has.

She has two three way circuits in the house, and they are wired old school with only two travelers, and the light pcking up it's neutral from a different circuit from where it's fed.

My question, can anyone recommend a solution that does not involve channeling all the plaster between the two boxes? Does anyone make slave swiches or remote type that will work. Three way operation is desirable and a code requirement here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 3 way switch solution needed for EMF

My question, can anyone recommend a solution that does not involve channeling all the plaster between the two boxes? Does anyone make slave swiches or remote type that will work.
You'd need a power and a neutral in each switch, I believe. They may be permitted on different circuits, the wire connecting the two switches is for communicating only at that point. But that is a guess on my part. :)

karl riley

I know of no shortcut to correcting a three way using two-conductor travelers. If you didn't need the second switch you could disconnect it and feed both hot and neutral from the same single switch.

Maybe there is a way of using the travelers to operate a low amperage relay switch of some kind. That's the only thought I have to keep the second switch.

And you don't need dedicated circuits if the circuits are correctly wired. After using your gaussmeter you need to switch to a digital milliamp clamp on ammeter to analyze what is happening in the circuit and find the error.

Karl

silverbk

The O2 machine, and AC's should be on dedicated circuits due to the nature of their loads.

The entire house with a few exceptions are wired through an old sub panel in a closet. It has fuses and is wired old school like the rest of the place.

I suspect the neutral is bonded to the ground in several places and I think that the most cost effeictive way to fix it is to just replace the panel with home runs to the main panel.

silverbk

I am going to try an x.10 sp switch with a matching remote.

I have been an electrician for 15 years and have never put in any x.10 devices, anything I need to know about them?

karl riley

Nothing tricky; just follow the directions. I used one once to turn on a light at the bottom of a long dark outdoor staircase in Berkeley. Carried the clicker with me in my car. Very convenient.
Karl

silverbk

OK update,

I removed the old fuse panel n the clothes closet, made splices, added breakers to the main panel.

I installed 3 dedicated circuits for the three AC's units also added one for the O2 machine.

Ripped out some very old BX in the basement, that was actually fed from the tenants panel. Replaced it all with romex.

I replaced every outlet in the house with a three prong receptacle.

I seem to have mitigated most of the EMF in the house, however I still have readings near the ground (water) wire.

With everything in the house off, both main breakers I still have readings on it.

I;m assuming that it is coming in from outside.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.