2hr fire protection for fire pump conduit

Capital

• Large unheated warehouse.
  • Replacing a Fire Pump, Fire Pump Control Panel, and the 300a 480v panel supplying the system.
  • Building service 46000v extends from street in the interior 80' to a transformer room.
  • From the transformer room hot tapped to a 480v bus and then another 120' to fire pump room. (no overcurrent protection)
  • The inspector wants the interior piping protected for 2hr. How do I do that, I looked into Firefree 88 paint but cant find where its approved.
  • Can I consider this a replacement and not concern myself with fireproofing the conduit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector wants the interior piping protected for 2hr.
Since it has no OCPD doesn't he want it to be considered outside of the building by adding 2" of concrete encasement? That's not the same as a 2-hour fire rating.

Capital

• Replacing a Fire Pump, Fire Pump Control Panel, and the 300a 480v panel supplying the system.
  • Building service 46000v extends from street in the interior 80' to a transformer room.
  • From the transformer room hot tapped to a 480v bus and then another 120' to fire pump room. (no overcurrent protection)
  • The inspector wants the interior piping protected for 2hr. How do I do that, I looked into Firefree 88 paint but cant find where its approved.
  • Can I consider this a replacement and not concern myself with fireproofing the conduit?

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 16

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Post #2. Here is would have to be installed in a raceway that's encased in concrete not less than 2" think per 230.6 and 695.6

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe, if you could proved that the fireproofing was not required by the code that was in effect at the time of the original installation. Note it does not matter what what actually installed, only what the code required to be installed.
However, I believe that most inspection authorities will require the replacement circuit to comply with the code that is currently in effect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that the inspector is looking at 695.6(A)(2)(4). However I am not sure that is the section that applies here. That sections permits the 2" of concrete or the fire resistive cabling system.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would not touch a fire pump circuit installation like this without a set of stamped plans from a PE. There are too many things that can get missed and lots of liability if the fire pump does not perform.

Has any one looked that the voltage drop requirements in 695.7. The motor starting drop of not more than 15% could require a larger transformer. A rule of thumb for that is to take the motor horsepower and multiply that by 2 to 2.5 and use that as the minimum kVA for the transformer.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I believe there is a wrap that gives the 2 hour equivalent. I would think the paint would not burn, but don’t see a way it would keep the conductors getting hot and melting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The stamped plans are from a PE, the inspector is still questioning the firefree88 paint. The power is sufficient.
There is no way that any type of paint would make the fire pump supply circuit a two hour rated circuit. There are methods to provide a two hour protection for the supply circuit, but they will not be cheap.

PaulEd

MI Cable is the only real way to accomplish this without ambiguity

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Would that circuit be a feeder or a service ??
My read does not seem to allow the a fire resistive cable except on a feeder circuit {695.6(A)(2)}; service conductors would be required to have the encasement {680.6(A)(1)}

Capital

• I would call it a feeder.

• 3m has a wrap that would qualify but paint would be easier

• The paint, (Firefree88) option claims to be intumescent, expands when heated to insulate. The brochure says it keeps steel insulated for 2+ hours but I cannot find the mention of conduit.
Is anyone familiar with these products?

PD1972

Occupation
engineer
Based on your sketch, is the AHJ is requesting a 2-hour rating on the portion of the circuit that is 46kV? MI and Vitalink MC are being mentioned, but I believe those are low voltage conductors (<600V) which can't be used.
the 46000 switchgear does have overcurrent, I not sure of the size but its considerable
Where is this switchgear (Inside or outside the building)?
I should have said the only OCPD was at the main service entrance. The circuit is tapped on the load side of the 480v with no OCPD.
It is an old WWII building.
What voltage is the main service entrance? Is this 480V or 46kV? Is this a unit substation with MV switch, dry type transformer, and a low voltage section?

Can you provide a one-line showing the service point, 46kV switchgear, stepdown 480V transformer, etc. and what portion you are replacing with new?