2500 kVA transformer connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have a project where the connection to XO is very much undersized and appears to be connected to the transformer with a ground clamp. Does anyone know of a source for a connection that will fit the round bus where the white wire is connected in this picture? The white wire is currently the only bonding/grounding connection for the 2500 kVA transformer. We will be replacing the existing busway between the transformer and a 1750 hp DC drive and I need to install a correctly sized supply side bonding jumper. The picture was taken by the owner some time ago, and I will not have access to the transformer terminal box before the new cable bus is installed.
rsz_ll_ext_drive_secondary3.jpg~original

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Battery post compression terminal?

View attachment 13195
I think they are too small in diameter and I have to connect at least one 500 kcmil.

I have seen the connections in the picture on other transformers but don't find anything with a search, but that could be because I don't know the correct name for the.

The other three on X1, X2, and X3 connect to laminated flexible copper busbars and those in turn connect to the existing 2500 amp busway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Those transformer terminals are very likely a standard IPS used in substation connections.

Check out Burndy's Copper Products Substation Catalog.

Page 23 is pipe-to-pad connections that would let you attach lugs.

Page 43 is pipe-to-cable connections that would let you terminate a conductor directly to that stud.
Thanks, I think that something on pages 21 or 22 might work for me.

The existing connection is a Burndy GAR grounding clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.