Status
Not open for further replies.

bspen1

Must all all service grounds be attached to the service bus, or is it legal to attach a lug to the can? The hardware that came with a SquareD 5 meter stack seemed to suggest that a ground lug should be placed under the same screw that attaches the main service bond to the panel while the other end was attached to the bus? Does that sound right?

hurk27

Re: 250.24

It depends upon which grounds your talking about. GEC which has to be bonded at the same point as the main bonding jumper but this doesn't mean that it has to be under the same screw just in the same cabnet or panel or on the same buss. and you dont have to run all the GEC's back to this point as they can be bonded to the closes GE that is bonded to the required point you can get to like running to the water pipe then running the ground rod GEC to the water pipe or visa versa (within the required 5' from where the water pipe enters the building of course) and you only can install more than one wire in the same lug when the lug is UL listed for more than one wire.

bspen1

I guess what I need to know is whether all of the grounding electrodes need to be mounted to the bus or whether it's ok to mount one--say the #4 bare coming from the ground rod--to the can using a lug there.

hurk27

I guess what I'm not understanding is why do you have so many GEC's in this meter pack? as most meter packs I have seen allow for two grounding conductors per meter. If you ran let's say a continous GEC to the main water pipe you can then just bond all your GEC's to this GEC conductor using any UL listed connection method like a split bolt. This will free up the grounding terminals in the meter pack. Remember only the main GEC which would be the water pipe or ufer electrode has to be a continous run after that the rest can be taped onto this GEC. When installing meter packs you must keep GEC runs down to the very minium as they never have enough terminals to acomodate more than two or three grounding connections.
There is a thread that describes this very well, I'll try to find it and add a link to it.

Here it is: Grounding Electrode Taps
And it has a image from the hand book too.

[ November 06, 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.