250.104(A)(1)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Wow. The differences in places is amazing sometimes...
I’ve never used stranded to the ground rods for a residence,
and don’t think I’ve seen but maybe a handful that weren’t solid...
Most are #6 solid.

When we changed over to the TWACS meters, many older houses didn’t have ground rods. Because we really needed them for the meters to communicate properly, those people got two free ground rods driven at their service compliments of the POCO, with #6 solid.

Solid is what is used here too

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
All meter bases are not considered accessible. Refer to 250.24(A)(1). Also , which I realize is not technically enforceable, but interpretations can be based on Handbook interpretations, refer to exhibit. 250.8.
Did you read this? You don't have to damage anything (but the seal) on a meter base to access the wiring, and it's not permanently closed! The word/term is "accessible" not "readily accessible".

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being
removed or exposed without damaging the building structure
or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish
of the building.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Did you read this? You don't have to damage anything (but the seal) on a meter base to access the wiring, and it's not permanently closed! The word/term is "accessible" not "readily accessible".
Yes sir I did read it. Did you read 250.24(A)(1) and refer to Exhibit 250.8 and the authors interpretation? There is a reason the author pointed out to call out“in an accessible meter enclosure “ ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Can you give an example of an inaccessible meter enclosure?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes sir, it would be the inaccessible one the author was in reference to when he referenced the accessible one in Handbook exhibit 250.8?
So you don't really have an example and you still haven't addressed the other conductors in the enclosure.

With that said, a seal on a meter does not make it inaccessible no more than a lock on an electrical room door does, you might have to wait for someone to show up to remove the seal or bring a key but it is accessible.

Roger

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
So you don't really have an example and you still haven't addressed the other conductors in the enclosure.

With that said, a seal on a meter does not make it inaccessible no more than a lock on an electrical room door does, you might have to wait for someone to show up to remove the seal or bring a key but it is accessible.

Roger

Thank you and y’all for the education. A meter base does meet the definition of accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.