250.104(A)(1)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Based on 250.104(A)(1)(1) would it be code compliant if I terminated my #4 solid copper cold water bonding conductor in the meterbase outside instead of the service disconnect inside which is directly behind the outside meterbase, on a single family residence? This is an existing home and it would be easier to install the conductor outside.

Thanks for the help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is fine in NC and is the best place. I second Infinity's question, why #4

Roger

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
The connection is required to be accessible. Normally a meter base is not considered accessible as POCO has it sealed?

Ravenvalor

IMO when permitted it's often a better place to connect it. Just out of curiosity why #4 solid? Isn't that pretty horrible to work with?
#4 solid is the only wire that I have ever used for residential cold water bonding systems. Since it is bare I do not have to be concerned about damaging the insulation.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The connection is required to be accessible. Normally a meter base is not considered accessible as POCO has it sealed?
True, but in NC it is rare to NOT see it terminated in the meter bases on residential

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#4 solid is the only wire that I have ever used for residential cold water bonding systems. Since it is bare I do not have to be concerned about damaging the insulation.
Around here no one uses solid and since it's not required to be insulated damage to the insulation is not a concern.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And what about the other connections?

I must say I always hated to be called out in the middle of the night because someone's GEC connection came loose. ;)

Roger

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It is accessible
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being
removed or exposed without damaging the building structure
or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish
of the building.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here, we're not allowed to land GECs in the meter. That's a shame, as it's the perfect place for driven rods.

Buck Parrish

Most of Indiana you're not allowed either. It's a shame because the grounding lug mechanism in the meter is made for the grounding wire much better then the neutral bar in the panel.

I've always used #4 Solid for a 200 amp service, too. I don't know why. Should I switch to stranded?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've used stranded on probably 99.9% of the services I've done regardless of size. It also means you don't have to carry material that can only be used for one purpose.

Roger
Same here, I've never used solid for a service. For a 200 amp service like in the OP we would use #2 Al for the water pipe and #6 copper for the rods. Added bonus you can use phase colors if that's all that you have on the truck.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Same here, I've never used solid for a service. For a 200 amp service like in the OP we would use #2 Al for the water pipe and #6 copper for the rods. Added bonus you can use phase colors if that's all that you have on the truck.
Wow. The differences in places is amazing sometimes...
I’ve never used stranded to the ground rods for a residence,
and don’t think I’ve seen but maybe a handful that weren’t solid...
Most are #6 solid.

When we changed over to the TWACS meters, many older houses didn’t have ground rods. Because we really needed them for the meters to communicate properly, those people got two free ground rods driven at their service compliments of the POCO, with #6 solid.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Around here MA & CT I have never seen one go to the meter socket. POCO doesn't allow it. I always use #4 stranded. The only solid I have seen used is #8

With the protection requirements for smaller wire I usually use #4 on anything below 200 amps

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
It is accessible
All meter bases are not considered accessible. Refer to 250.24(A)(1). Also , which I realize is not technically enforceable, but interpretations can be based on Handbook interpretations, refer to exhibit. 250.8.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
All meter bases are not considered accessible. Refer to 250.24(A)(1). Also , which I realize is not technically enforceable, but interpretations can be based on Handbook interpretations, refer to exhibit. 250.8.
So I ask again, if for some long shot reason a meter base could be considered inaccessible why are the ungrounded and grounded conductor connections not required to be accessible?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.