210.8, GFCI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Inside wireman
We have a process plant with various pin/sleeve configurations in wet locations. The 120/208V type can be protected by GFCI breakers as required by code. But the 277/480V do not have code requirement. This doesn't seem right but maybe the breaker settings are more sensitive at higher voltage. We have an RFI in to verify what the customer will require, but I'm not finding the breakers we need in Eaton's or Seimens's catalog. There is GFCI equipment that we can add but it will require added costs to the customer.

Occupation
Inside wireman
Why are trying to add GFCI protection for 480? As you have said it’s not required.
I felt a certain responsibility to make sure personnel safety is being considered. I'm not trying to add it, rather I want to get the statement in writing that we did our due-diligence by questioning the lack of protection. I don't want anyone to get electrocuted over $75,000 worth of equipment, at least I made the suggestion. The owner of this facility is a billion dollar company.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
One thing to look at is if the equipment requires GFPE. That would not protect personal but it would be something to look into as well.

Occupation
Inside wireman
Great you are looking into GFCI but is it even available for 480?
I found this website that offers the GFCI add-on (https://gfcistore.com/40-60-amp-permanent-gfcis.html). I sent it to my project management to review with the customer. Not surprising that they opted out because their other process plant doesn’t use GFCI protection for 480V. Just like SSDriver mentioned above- GFPE is the only protection the main breaker can supply. They would have needed over sixty of those devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.