210.4(B)3 Ph, 4 W, 120/208V panelboard - shared neutral branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
My understanding is you cannot use 3-single phase, 20A branch CBs with a 'shared' neutral unless all three CB's are ganged together at the panelboard – per NEC 210.4(B)....Is this a true statement?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well it wouldn't be possible to install a 3 pole CB unless the three phases are next to one another but I gather that you're referencing single pole CB's. Yes you are correct, the single poles with a handle-tie will end up just like a 3 pole CB.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Well it wouldn't be possible to install a 3 pole CB unless the three phases are next to one another but I gather that you're referencing single pole CB's. Yes you are correct, the single poles with a handle-tie will end up just like a 3 pole CB.

Thanks Infinity. Looks like this particular company ignored 210.4(B). :happyno:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
When was the install? That disgusting code change has only been around since 2008. During the one hundred years prior to that you could spread your MWBC out.

Spread out and used a lot. I feel sorry for the young guys that work on a restaurant remodel we did years ago. All MWBC, no handle ties, and some were spread out not even close to one another in the panel.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When was the install? That disgusting code change has only been around since 2008. During the one hundred years prior to that you could spread your MWBC out.

Spread out and used a lot. I feel sorry for the young guys that work on a restaurant remodel we did years ago. All MWBC, no handle ties, and some were spread out not even close to one another in the panel.​

I agree with both of you guys.

Roger​

kwired

Electron manager
Spread out and used a lot. I feel sorry for the young guys that work on a restaurant remodel we did years ago. All MWBC, no handle ties, and some were spread out not even close to one another in the panel.

Before the handle tie rule applied to everything, I generally still kept them grouped together, but when adding things to an existing panel sometimes things got spread around, especially if there was a high leg in the panel and you had to avoid that as well.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Before the handle tie rule applied to everything, I generally still kept them grouped together, but when adding things to an existing panel sometimes things got spread around, especially if there was a high leg in the panel and you had to avoid that as well.

We grouped the MWBC with tape at each access point but those that have had no experience with them will be lost.

kwired

Electron manager
My understanding is you cannot use 3-single phase, 20A branch CBs with a 'shared' neutral unless all three CB's are ganged together at the panelboard – per NEC 210.4(B)....Is this a true statement?

I guess nothing says they must be ganged together, but since handle ties are required it probably is easiest to find ties for breakers that are adjacent to one another ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.