208 single phase and 208 3phase plugs and recep

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenj

I recently ran into a situation where there is an enclosure with a 208 single phase and a 208 3phase receptacle right next to each other coming out of the box. The recep's feed a single phase elevator and the 3 phase feeds a filling machine. Both cords have 3 phase 230V plugs on them. I questioned the installation because these can be reversed, possibly causing a single phase condition. What I would like to know is, Is this legit? and if so or not so where do I find this in the code book?
I am being told this is OK, but I feel this causes a possible safety issue.
Thanks Ken J.

ceb

Re: 208 single phase and 208 3phase plugs and recep

If I understand what you are saying it sound like some one set two three phase recpt. on one they didn't use one of the terminals resulting in the single phase. correct? And they have used two three phase male cord caps? Article 200 (2003 nec) touches in this area but I can't find any thing specific to your question. However, you are correct that this is a situation that needs correcting. the single phase should be three wire and the three phase four wire. with this set up you could not cross connect the equpt.

kenj

Re: 208 single phase and 208 3phase plugs and recep

Thanks for your time (CEB) My feeling is the same, that it should be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.