2017 NEC Required GFCI Breakers / Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question has to do with oversized current protection we're pulling from a subpanel pool equipment feeder, and a feeders down to a dock are the new 2017 rule feeders must be protected now GFI at the panel down to the dock S well as the dock it self I have run #10 240 volt to dock its is 150 Ft. Due to possible voltage drop,can I upside my Panel GFI Breaker to a 40 Amp GFI. Connected load 120 v 30 amp shore power 3.5 amps & 20 GFI Receptacle total load..

Last edited by a moderator:

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I question if this is a DIY non-electrician post... but to your question... No, for a couple reasons.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't see why you would want to increase the rating of the GFCI breaker to account for voltage drop. Voltage drop is about increasing the ampacity of the conductors not the rating of the overcurrent protection device.

Due to where the GFI is located to the feeders 300 ft to the dock when using a GFI 30 amp it won't holding it trips as soon as he plugs Shore power in. changed it out put a 40 amp GFI breaker in everything operates and works fine. Installed a different 30 amp GFI breaker back to the same problem. I was looking for Mike's opinion or if someone else out there and experience same problem. Yes I am in Electrical Contractor here in Florida. I wasn't looking to increase the ampacity I was trying to understand why the GFI won't hold and my only conclusion I can come up with is because of the distance and run there's a voltage difference and when he turns on the shore power.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It should not make much difference. The GFCI is supposed to trip when you get 5 milliamps of ground fault current whether it is a 30 amp rated unit or a 40 amp rated unit. It's possible there's a slight difference in the trip point between the two units that caused one not to trip and the other one to do so.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
Can you put a new panel on the shore near the dock? That would give you a much shorter feeder to GFI protect.

>new 2017 rule
682.15(B) I assume?

Strombea

I would just change the GFI breaker out to a normal breaker after inspection. These rules are BS for feeders. Try telling POCOs that they have to have their services and feeders protected, they would just laugh. Logically if you have GFCi branch breakers in the sub panel then the user is protected at all times. Sometimes you have to let the dumbasses make the rules and the use logic to override them. Pretty soon we are just going to have to stop using electrons all together if the rules keep coming😂

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Due to where the GFI is located to the feeders 300 ft to the dock when using a GFI 30 amp it won't holding it trips as soon as he plugs Shore power in. changed it out put a 40 amp GFI breaker in everything operates and works fine. Installed a different 30 amp GFI breaker back to the same problem. I was looking for Mike's opinion or if someone else out there and experience same problem. Yes I am in Electrical Contractor here in Florida. I wasn't looking to increase the ampacity I was trying to understand why the GFI won't hold and my only conclusion I can come up with is because of the distance and run there's a voltage difference and when he turns on the shore power.
Are you sure that the 30 amp is a 30mA GFP and not a 5 mA GFCI? If both the 30 and 40 amp breakers are of the same type, you need to take that up with the breaker manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.